The DAP XHose sells itself as “the word’s first expanding hose”. When filled with water the hose expands to the size of a typical water hose, but when the water is turned off and drained from the hose it shrinks to a smaller, lighter size.
Partial transcript of the XHose expandable hose TV commercial:
Turn the water on and the XHose automatically expands to up to 3-times it’s length. Turn the water off, and as the water drains the X-hose automatically contracts back to a small size. Amazing! Ordinary 50 foot hoses are so heavy. The X Hose is incredibly light. A 50 foot X-Hose only weighs only about 1 pound!
When you’re finished the XHose will automatically follow you back and contract for easy storage. Unbelievable!
Some key items and wording from the X Hose TV advertisement:
- Demonstration: During the shots of the XHose expanding and contracting, the words “time reduced for demonstration purposes” indicate that the XHose does not really work as you see on the commercial. This is not necessarily deceitful, however the disclaimer is in such tiny lettering it can be easily overlooked
- Ordinary 50 foot hoses are so heavy! The X Hose is incredibly light .. weights only about 1 pound: The weight of “about” 1 pound is for an empty and completely drained X Hose. An XHose full of water will weigh significantly more. When describing the weight, the word “about” (“about one pound”) is spoke quickly and could be easily missed. “About one pound” is not “one pound”.
- Just turn the water on and the Xhose quickly expands up to three-times it’s length: The operative word in this sentence is “up to”. This means that an Xhose advertised to expand “up to” 25 feet may only expand to 20 feet, or 15 feet, or 9 feet. “Up to” is the most it could ever possibly expand and does not necessarily mean that it will always or ever expand to that length
- As you effortlessly guide it to where you need to go: Take note that the “effortless” movement of those hose is on a wet, almost ice-smooth surface. If your patio, driveway, or yard is not this smooth, the nylon exterior of the XHose may snag on rocks, dirt, or pebbles, requiring more effort than is demonstrated in the commercial. The same goes for the XHose automatically contracting as you empty the water
- The DAP XHose is made made from a tough, multilayered expandable inner-hose and folded outer covering made from durable super-strong webbing. Built strong to last long (while showing a hammer hitting the hose): According to many online reviews, the XHose is neither tough or super strong, nor does it last long. Many reviewers indicate that the XHose popped, ripped open, or the connectors broke off anywhere after a few minutes of use to a few weeks of use
- A 75 foot Xhose fits in a flower pot: Without indicating the size of the flower pot, or showing any objects near the flower pot shown in the commercial for scale, this phrase is meaningless and intended to make the viewer think that the XHose is extremely small. Although the XHose may indeed be very small, we could easily fit a 1-mile long hose into a flower pot, if that flower pot were large enough
- Only $19.95 / 90 day money back guarantee: The XHose is $19.95, however you will also pay much for for shipping and “handling”. This phrase is very deceiving as the average person may be led to believe that they would only pay $19.95 to receive an X Hose. The money back guarantee does not include the additional money you spend for the shipping and handling charges
Were you fooled by the wording of this TV commercial? Leave a comment!DAP Expanding X-Hose Commercial by R.W. Brown