Degree new and improved advertisement
In this commercial for Degree Antiperspirant dancer and “So You Think You Can Dance” finalist Jasmine Harper tells us about making improvements.
(Jasmine Harper): As a dancer, I’m constantly striving to improve. Because every turn, every split, every leap, counts. We all do things we love and when we improve the way we do them, it feels amazing.
(Announcer): For those who strive to improve, Degree Improved II with new Degree Motionsense. The only antiperspirant that releases extra protection as you move to keep you fresher long after Secret fades. Protection improved so you can do more.
Points made and what they mean:
- What the commercial shows: Jasmine Harper dancing and using Degree antiperspirant
- What some people might think this means: Jasmine Harper uses Degree / Degree must be good if Jasmine Harper uses and endorses it.
- What it actually means: At no point does Jasmine Harper say that she uses, or has ever used Degree. Although She may actually use the product, no claim is made that she does. Whether she actually uses it or not is left up to the imagination of the viewer.
- What the announcer says: The only antiperspirant that releases extra protection as you move to keep you fresher long after Secret fades
- What someone may assume this means: This new Degree will keep my dry longer than any other antiperspirant / This new Degree works better in all ways than Secret deodorant.
- What it really means: According to the graphic shown, the “protection” referred to is “freshness of fragrance“, not dryness protection. This freshness of fragrance was measured by a panel of ‘trained’ testers who measured the fragrance intensity of both deodorants over a 10 hour period. After 10 hours, the “fragrance freshness” of Secret Deodorant measured an average of just over 1.5, while the fragrance freshness of new Degree measured just under 2.5. Some people may not consider this test or the results a scientific validation that Degree keeps you fresher “long after Secret fades”.
Summary of this ad:
This commercial uses a celebrity and makes use of wording that some people may find to be somewhat deceptive.