Heineken “The Odyssey” / “That Can’t Be Just One Man” / Guy with a beard on a cruise ship
In this ad we see a scruffy man with a beard (a “castaway”) that sneaks on to a cruise-ship and begins to entertain all of the passengers by dancing, diving, playing limbo, and of course, drinking a Heineken. Each time we see the man impressing everyone, he looks different. He is so amazing that he “Can’t be just one man”. During the commercial we hear a Portuguese samba version of the song “16 Tons” (but, with different words), named 16 Toneladas, performed by Noriel Vilela. The name of the actor that plays the ship’s captain is not clear. Some readers claim that the caption is played by actor Meto Jovanovski, but we have not yet been able to verify this.
This YouTube version of the TV commercial is fully interactive. Click on the white-text box sections when shown in the video for behind the scenes looks at the commercial.
The actor that plays the Castaway / Man with the beard:
As the captain tells the woman, this “can’t be just one man”. There are actually 17 actors playing the different parts with different talents. Below are the names of the actors and their associated talent in the commercial:
- The Rope Climber: John O’Grady
- The Rail Jumper: Alex Jerrom
- The Jacket Buttoner: Frederick Szkoda
- The Limbo Dancer: Pablo Mandaras
- The Bottle Opener: Rupert Savage
- The Bird Caller: Scott Sparrow
- The Disrober: Charles Wilson
- The Pool Diver: Blake Aldridge
- The Rail Slider: Nectarios Theodorou
- The Synchronized Twins: The Saxby Twins
- The Eyebrow Raiser: Alex Falowski
- The Beer Bottle Slider: Peter Weidmann
- The Ballroom Dancer: Jose Luis Vivar
- The Dancers: Eugene Claudio Daniel Jesus
- The Lady Thrower: David Sanchez
- The Tap Dancer: Yoshitaka Suzuki
This commercial contains little dialog, only a woman, impressed by the man with the beard asking the captain of the ship in Italian, “Who is that man?” to which the captain replies (not in Italian but in Serbian) “That can’t be just one man“. The commercial closes with the Heineken tagline (shown on screen): Everyone is legendary at something.