Best Buy Christmas commercial with LL Cool J
In this Christmas commercial for Best Buy, LL Cool J reads us the story “Twas the dad who had to find two gifts”. This is the third in a series of Best Buy holiday commercials of the same format, the previous two featured Will Arnett and Maya Rudolph.
T’was the dad who had to find two gifts as read by LL Cool J:
Twas the dad who had to find two gifts mad quick. Phones for twin girls, yah that would be sick.
He needed a place with every carry plan and phone for sale. Twas the mobile holy grail.
(Dad): A plan with unlimited talk, text and data?
(Best Buy guy): Sprint offers one guaranteed for life
(LL Cool J): Way to go playa. His girls were happy, twas the worlds greatest dad. If I wrote these lines myself they wouldn’t be this.. Wouldn’t be this..
(Announcer): Great gifts like the HTC One
(Shown on screen): HTC One exclusive blue $49.99
Key words and phrases in this TV commercial and what they really mean:
- What the commercial said: A plan with unlimited talk, text and data? Sprint offers one guaranteed for life
- What some people might think that means: At Best Buy I can get a phone with unlimited talk, text and data for life
- What it really means: On the screen the following difficult to read fine-print is shown:
The Sprint unlimited guarantee is valid while line of service is activated on Unlimited My Way or My All-in Plan. Applies to unlimited features only (excludes other data options & mobile hotspot). Price and phone selection subject to change
Other than the very difficult to read fine print, there seems to be no deception about the Sprint “unlimited” offer available at Best Buy.
- What the commercial claims: … HTC One for $49.99
- What some people might think that means: I can get an HTC One and only have to pay $49.99
- What it really means: According to the fine print also shown on the screen, in order to get the HTC One for $49.99 you must purchase it between November 10 2013 and November 16, 2013; You must sign a 2 year service contract with up to a $350 early termination fee. Based on the information provided, it does appear that you can get the HTC One for $49.99, however there are additional conditions.
This light hearted commercial has some fine-print, but the wording seems legit!