Perfect Polly the lifelike pet parakeet available from www.PerfectPollyPet.com
This ad for Perfect Polly tells us about Perfect Polly, the artificial parakeet bird. The music played during the commercial is The William Tell Overture also known as “The Lone Ranger” (theme).
What they say in the ad:
Introducing Perfect Polly the pet parakeet that comes to life when you enter the room. Look, Perfect Polly is motion activated. When you come near she starts to move and sing! This life size replica mimics the sounds and movements of a real parakeet in the wild. Perfect Polly turns to look at you then starts to sing and even shakes her tail feathers! Her cheerful lilting song keeps you company all day long. Everyone loves Perfect Polly!
Parakeets are the most popular pet bird in the world but they require a lot of care. Now Perfect Polly brings you all the joy but and mess to make you mad. By the window or on the shelf, with your Perfect Polly you’re never by yourself. So lifelike you wont believe your eyes. Just look at the detail in this pretty little polly.
This life-sized perfect polly looks right at home in a cage or perch polly on your finger and watch her start to sing! Perfect Polly chirps her little tune in the morning, or in the afternoon and when it’s time to turn out the light Polly keeps quite throughout the night.
Get your Perfect Polly today for only $14.99 complete with the authentic Polly Perch but wait! Call right now and you can double your order! That’s a pair of Perfect Pollys for $14.99 and don’t forget to find out about free shipping! It’s the perfect pet for someone special you know. Get one as a gift and keep one for your own. Call 1-800-535-5824 to get your Perfect Polly Pet or visit PerfectPollyPet.com
Claims or statements and what they actually mean:
- What the commercial announcer said: the pet parakeet that comes to life when you enter the room / Perfect Polly is motion activated. When you come near she starts to move and sing
- What some people might think that means: Every time I enter the room, the bird will begin to sing to me
- What it really means: According to the instruction booklet, Perfect Polly is designed to only detect motion in front of the bird at a relatively short distance. This means that if you walk into a room from behind the bird, to the side of the bird, or from a large distance, your motion may not be detected and the bird may not come to life
- What the commercial announcer claims: This life size replica
- What some people might think that means: Perfect Polly is the same size as a real bird
- What it really means: This toy does appear to be the same approximate size as a real parakeet, which is generally approximately 4-6 inches tall
- What the commercial claimed: mimics the sounds and movements of a real parakeet in the wild
- What some people might think that means: It moves and sounds just like a real bird
- What it really means: As shown on the commercial, the bird’s head turns slightly to the left and back, the tail moves slightly upward and downward, and it makes a bird-like chirping noise. Many people would agree that these sounds and movements are not lifelike or realistic as a parakeet in the wild makes many more sounds, and has a much greater range of movements.
- What the commercial says: Perfect Polly turns to look at you then starts to sing
- What some people might think that means: The bird will look in my direction, stop and stare at me for a moment as shown in the commercial and then begin to sing
- What it really means: During the commercial the only movement that the bird’s head makes is from center, to it’s left, and then quickly back to center, meaning it does not or cannot look to the right. If you approach the bird from right, it does not appear that it can look in your direction. At the moment the announcer says “Perfect Polly turns to look at you”, the video appears to be a freeze-frame of the bird looking toward the camera. Based on this, the claim that Perfect Polly will “turn to look at you” appears to be very deceptive.
- What the ad claims: and even shakes her tail feathers
- What some people might think that means: The tail feathers shake
- What it really means: Based on the tail movement shown in the commercial, the tail “feathers” appear to be one, solid piece of plastic that moves slightly up and down.
- What the ad claims: Get your Perfect Polly today for only $14.99 complete with the authentic Polly Perch but wait! Call right now and you can double your order! That’s a pair of Perfect Pollys for $14.99
- What some people might think that means: I can get two of these birds and I only have to pay $14.99
- What it really means: In very fine-print just under the giant lettering of the price we can see the words “plus s&h and separate fee”, which means that you must also pay a shipping and handling fee, but there is no mention in the TV commercial how much that fee is. When visiting the PerfectPollyPet.com website we can see that the cost of this fee is $6.99. We also see that as of January 2014 the www.PerfectPollyPet.com website is offering the Perfect Polly for only $10.99. This means that the cost for your Perfect Polly will be $17.98 ($10.99 + $6.99). When you get your second “free” Perfect Polly you must pay another “separate fee” of $6.99, bringing your total to $24.97
This TV commercial makes use of video and wording that some people may think is an intentional attempt to trick viewers into thinking that this plastic toy does more or acts more realistic than it actually does. The toy also has an actual cost nearly double that of the “price” that we are showb.