What the ad says:
Tired of the same old, boring programming? Stuck with just your cable channels? (finger snap) And just like that TV has changed forever. Introducing Rabbit TV. With this USB you’ll have access to over 5,000 internet TV stations. Over 5,000! That’s right just plug it in and turn any computer into the most incredible entertainment system, ever. You’ll have instant access to RabbitTV.
It installs in seconds. The USB Rabbit TV stick fits any Mac or PC. Desktop or laptop and as long as you have internet access you’ll have free internet TV. Watch as much as you want any time you want, there’s no limit. Just plug in the Rabbit, click on the icon, and simply click on what you want to watch. It’s that easy and, it’s free! Use it at home, use it at work, use it on campus, or in hotel rooms, even a the airport. You’ll never be bored again. You would expect to pay $500 for something this valuable but it’s not even $200, or $100. Are you ready for this? It’s just $10! You heard right, $10. Order right now and we’ll upgrade your order for free to Rabbit TV Plus. It not only has 5,000 TV stations, it also has over 9,000 radio stations. Plus if you call right now you can double the order and get two! Imagine, easy access to over 5,000 U.S. and international TV stations and over 9,000 radio stations for the incredible TV price of $10. Rabbit TV, it’s a channel surfer’s dream.
Call now and find out about free shipping! Call 1-800-391-2693 and get your Rabbit TV or visit RabbitTV.com. But hurry callers can get a special offer and a second Rabbit TV with your order. So call 1-800-391-2693 and find out about free shipping. That’s 1-800-391-2693. Call now.
Statements and claims made:
- What the ad said: With this USB you’ll have access to over 5,000 internet TV stations
- What some people might think that means: If I get the Rabbit TV USB stick I will have access to over 5,000 channels of TV. I can cancel my cable service and watch 5,000 channels on my television set.
- What it really means: The Rabbit TV PLUS service (Plus is the upgraded service) does give you access to thousands of internet TV channels, however, in most, if not every case, you can access these channels on your computer without the use of the RabbitTV device. It is also important to understand that Rabbit TV is for a computer – the Rabbit TV does not plug into your living room television. In order to watch RabbitTV on your main (TV room television), you must connect your laptop or computer to the TV. The Rabbit TV is not a device for connecting a TV to your computer. It is also important to understand that the Rabbit TV does not “tune in” live television. The device only connects you to “internet TV”. In most cases this means that you cannot watch local television, live TV, or, premium channels
- What the ad said: It installs in seconds
- What some people might think that means: I can start using it in seconds
- What it really means: The Rabbit TV takes only seconds to connect to any computer, however, according to the www.support.rabbittvgo.com support website, before you can use it, you must go through the setup and sign up process which depending on what type of computer you have, takes several additional steps
- What the commercial says Watch as much as you want any time you want, there’s no limit
- What some people might think that means: I can whatever I want, as much as I want, whenever I want
- What it really means: There are no limits on Internet TV whether you use the Rabbit TV, or watch it on your computer without the Rabbit TV, but as mentioned above, you cannot watch whatever you want, as “Internet TV” is not the same as regular television.
- What Rabbit TV claims: Use it at home, use it at work, use it on campus, or in hotel rooms
- What some people might think that means: I can watch TV anywhere
- What it really means: Internet TV, with, or without the Rabbit TV is available any place that has internet access. If your hotel, campus, or work allows you to use their internet connection, you can watch Internet TV
- What Rabbit TV claims: It’s that easy and, it’s free
- What some people might think that means: I can use the RabbitTV as much as I want and I don’t have to pay any money
- What it really means: Internet TV is free, and as mentioned above, the Rabbit TV device is not necessary to access it. However, after you purchase a Rabbit TV USB device, if you want to access the 5,000 channels as mentioned in this TV commercial, you must pay $10 per year.
- What Rabbit TV claims: You would expect to pay $500 for something this valuable but it’s not even $200, or $100
- What some people might think that means: The Rabbit TV or anything like it will cost hundreds of dollars
- What it really means: There are similar systems that some people would even consider to be better than the Rabbit TV that cost much less than what the TV commercial said. The Apple TV device is $99, the ChromeCast is $35, and a Roku is $49. Online services such as Netflix are around $10 per month. Most importantly, you can access most, if not all of the Internet TV channels that Rabbit TV gives you access to, for free without purchasing the Rabbit TV device.
- What Rabbit TV claims: Call right now you can double the order and get two! Imagine, easy access to over 5,000 U.S. and international TV stations and over 9,000 radio stations for the incredible TV price of $10
- What some people might think that means: I can get two Rabbit TV’s and I only have to pay $10
- What it really means: According to the www.RabbitTV.com website, the Rabbit USB device is $10, plus $6.99 shipping & handling. Your second “free” Rabbit TV will cost you $6.99. The total cost for your two Rabbit TV’s for $10 is actually $23.98 plus any additional state sales tax if applicable. Not mentioned in the TV commercial is that if you do not cancel your Rabbit service after the first year, you will automatically be billed $10/year to continue using it.
What does the Rabbit TV do?
As mentioned above, the Rabbit TV does not allow you to “tune in TV”. Instead, it is a device that makes it easier to find and organize Internet TV and Internet radio stations, which generally does not include local TV stations, local news, has very limited, if any live TV, often does not include current season TV shows, does not include many cable-only TV channels, and no premium movie channels. All of these Internet TV channels or radio stations are already available via the internet, for free.
The RabbitTV does not connect to your TV. Rabbit TV connects to your laptop or desktop PC or Mac computer. In order to watch Internet TV on your television, you must connect it to your TV, which depending on your computer and your TV may be expensive, difficult, or simply not possible.
Some people may feel that the use of imagery, fine print, and tricky wording in this ad is extremely deceptive.