RetrofitMe.com / Retrofit Weight Loss Program 45 day trial TV ad
This commercial uses RetrofitMe.com customers and exercise professionals to tell us why the RetrofitMe.com weight loss system works for busy professionals.
What’s said in this ad:
(Customer Jay Leib): I’ll be in different hotels, airports. I believe the weight will stay off this time because I now have the tools that I really didn’t have before. I’ve actually retrofitted my body and my mentality. They’re able to look at all these different data points and be able to give me real honest feedback and use that. It’s a lot of fun looking at your progress.
(Customer Sophia Stratton): One meeting after another. My priorities, they’ve changed and it really feels like it’s stuck.
(Customer Rickey Glover): Health fell by the wayside. You have live human beings who are experts in their field, helping you, working with you. I’ve lost 90 pounds with Retrofit.
(Customer Kilby Williamson): The weight just seemed to, you know, come off
(Announcer): Sometimes life gets in the way of weight loss. So we designed a program that fits into your life, Retrofit. It’s specifically created for the busy professional and over 90% of active retrofit clients are losing weight. So if you’re really ready to lose that weight for good call or go online now for a risk-free 45 day trial of Retrofit.
(Jade, Exercise Physiologist): The key to Retrofit’s attainable and sustainable weight loss is the combination of one-on-one coaching from experts with the latest in wireless technology
(Announcer): You’ll get your own personal registered dietitian, behavior coach and exercise physiologist. Together your team customizes a long term weight loss plan that works with your life. Meet with them via private video conferencing when it fits your schedule, exchange messages 24/7. Your Retrofit program is data driven and automatic. It includes tracking devices that upload your weight, activity, and sleep data directly to your private dashboard.
(Niki, RetrofitMe.com): The dashboard gives both the client and the coaches a wealth of information
(Dawn, RetrofitMe.com): We really streamline and target, in a very strategic way the types of things that you need to lose weight.
(Announcer): Retrofit is the only weight loss program with the no fail promise. (On screen: Actively participate and you’ll lose at least 10% of your body weight. See website for details). Call or go online to try it now, risk free for 45 days.
(Retrofit client Steve Rose): I feel stronger, I have more energy and I just feel good.
(Announcer): Imagine your life stronger, in control, and without the extra weight. If your’e ready to finally make it happen call or go online now for your risk free 45 day trial of Retrofit.
Some of the claims and assertions made in the commercial and what they mean:
- What the commercial announcer said: over 90% of active Retrofit clients are losing weight
- What some people might think this means: Almost everybody that uses RetrofiMe.com loses weight / If I use Retrofit, I will lose weight
- What it really means: The announcer said that 90% of active users are losing weight. This means that they are actively and correctly using the system. It also means that 10% of active users are not losing weight. On the screen we can also see that the average weight loss is 1/2 a pound to 1 pound per week which amounts to approximately 2 to 4 pounds per month.
- What the Jay Leib said: I believe the weight will stay off this time
- What some people might think this means: If I use Retrofit to lose weight, it will stay off
- What it really means: Jay Leib says that he believes the weight will stay off. He did not say that his weight has stayed off, nor did he say that the weight lost by anyone else using Retrofit has stayed off. In other words, it is his opinion/he hopes/he thinks that this time his weight will stay off. This is not a claim that by using Retrofit your lost weight will not be regained.
- What the “Jade” said: The key to Retrofit’s attainable and sustainable weight loss is the combination of one-on-one coaching from experts with the latest in wireless technology
- What some people might think this means: It will be easy to lose weight on Retrofit because it has one on one coaching and wireless technology
- What it actually means: The claim made is clear. Jade claims that it is the one on one coaching and wireless technology that make it work so effectively, but this does not mean that this technology will make losing weight any easier. Some people might question how much “wireless technology” actually helps to lose weight and might consider this just using buzzwords to make this program stand out from other weight loss programs.
- What the announcer claims: Retrofit is the only weight loss program with the no fail promise.. try it now, risk free for 45 days
- What some people might think this means: If I don’t lose weight, I will get all of my money back
- What it really means: The announcer says the program is “risk free”, but gives no other details. After visiting the RetrofitMe.com website, we find only this message regarding the 45 day trial:
RISK FREE: Simply return your devices to the address below within 45 days of purchase to receive a full refund. CANCEL ANYTIME: You may cancel future payments at anytime. Simply return devices to the address below and all future payments will be cancelled.
What it means:
The RetrofitMe.com weight loss plans start at $148 per month for the “Advisor” plan and go as high as $298 per month for their “Expert” plan. Whichever plan you choose must be paid in advance. The Risk Free guarantee states that as long as you cancel your plan within 45 days and send back the hardware, you will receive a full (one month) refund. Because there is no mention of it, it is assumed that you must pay the costs to ship back the hardware.
RETROFITME.COM – NO REFUNDS:
One item to consider is the RetrofitMe.com no refunds policy, which is clearly defined in section 5.5 of their Program Terms & Conditions and reads as follows:
Retrofit Promise. THERE ARE NO REFUNDS. However, if at the end of the initial 12-month term you notify us in writing that your use of the Service has not resulted in the achievement of your Weight Loss Goal (depending on which tier of the Service you have selected) or a lower agreed on goal, and you have in good faith met the requirements of the Service’s protocols (as set forth in the Documentation), and you have complied with the dietary and exercise recommendations provided to you by Retrofit and the Wellness Practitioners, Retrofit will extend participation in the same Plan to you for an additional 12-month renewal term at no charge
There is no deception here, and we assume this no-refund policy refers to after the 45 day risk-free trial period. But if you plan on paying in advance it may be of note that the company has a clearly defined no refund policy that you agree to when you sign up.
This commercial uses only a minor amount of deceptive wording and ‘buzzwords’. The no-risk guarantee is far simpler that most other “money back guarantees” and is virtually deception-free.