Product: Align Probiotic
Commercial: “Digestive Balance”
Align Probiotic is a daily use “probiotic” intended to help your digestive system
Need help keeping your digestive balance in-sync? Try Align. it’s the number 1 GE recommended probiotic that helps maintain digestive balance. Stay in the groove with align. It’s a probiotic that fortifies your digestive system with healthy bacteria 24/7. Because your insides set the tone.
Key words and phrases in this TV commercial:
- Need help keeping your digestive balance in sync?: At no point in this commercial is it stated what “in sync” actually means. Many people may assume it has different meanings, leaving it up to the imagination of the television viewer to fill in the blank. The TV commercial also never actually states that Align will help, instead, it asks if you need help, and if you do, recommends that you ‘try Align’
- Try Align. It’s the number one G.E. recommended probiotic that helps maintain digestive balance: At this point in the commercial several small disclaimers are quickly displayed.
- With continued daily use: A viewer may assume that Align could be taken once, or for only a short time, instead, it is intended to be used daily, indefinitely
- The number one Gastroenterologist recommendation is based on a 2012 survey of Gastroenterologists who recommend a brand of probiotic : Gastroenterologists were asked something similar to “if you recommended a particular BRAND of probiotic, what is it” – Many doctors never recommend “brands”, instead they recommend products in the generic term (ie; “take vitamin C” and not “take Joe’s brand vitamin C”). This “#1 ranking” was only among those that actually made recommendations by brand name, and the Align commercial does not include how many Gastroenterologists that was. It might have been 2 or it might have been 2000; we simply do not know. Because of this lack of disclosure, this claim has very little if any value and is basically meaningless
- This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease: This would seem to indicated that Align does not cure or help with anything
- It’s a probiotic that fortifies your digestive system with healthy bacteria 24/7: Similar to the disclaimers above, your digestive system is only fortified 24/7 if you take the Align pills every day. The TV commercial does indicate what these healthy bacteria do, or are intended to do, leaving it up to the imagination of the viewer to fill in the gaps and assume. One might easily assume incorrectly
The Align Probiotics TV commercial makes several vague claims, leaving it up to the viewer to fill in the gaps as to what Align actually helps with. The commercial has images of happy men dancing or healthy men running outdoors which may lead many to believe that Align increases health, energy, or has other benefits however the legally required ‘small print’ disclaimers seem to contradict what many may assume.