TV advertisement being reviewed:
The Trusty Cane available from www.TrustyCane.com
Description of the ad:
This television commercial currently running nationwide describes the Trusty Cane and all of it’s benefits. The “Trusty Cane” should not be confused with the nearly identical “Hurry Cane“.
What this ad says:
It happens all the time. You let go for just a second and your cane takes a tumble. It’s time for a Trusty Cane. It’s the cane you can trust. Look, other canes fall down and are hard to pick up. But Trusty Cane stands by your side. Trusty Cane makes it easier to do the things you like and this triple-tread design improves stability. Just look at the difference. A slippery slope, a rocky path, steps and stones or a grassy hill.
Now you can enjoy the freedom to go anywhere that you like with Trusty Cane at your side. So get out there and be more active. Now you can get in the front door without your cane falling on the floor. Trusty Cane even makes it easier to stand up from a sitting position. And watch this. Trusty Cane folds up and travels easily then it springs into action when you’re ready to go and it adjusts to your size and locks in place. Everyone knows someone that needs a Trusty Cane so call us now.
Look those other canes sell for a lot of money and don’t have the triple tread design, extra wide base and pivoting head. But you can get your Trusty Cane now for only $29.99 in your choice of classic black or our brand new Butterfly Garden design. It’s sure to turn some heads. But wait! Trusty Cane has built-in lights. They light the night ahead and the ground at your feet. You also get the fold away strap. There’s even a 25% partner discount and Trusty Cane comes with a full guarantee. If you are not satisfied for any reason just return it for a quick refund. You get all this for only $29.99. Don’t wait, call now.
Some of the phrases or claims made and what they mean:
- What the commercial claims: Look those other canes sell for a lot of money and don’t have the triple tread design, extra wide base and pivoting head (on screen an image of a Quad Cane and $89 price tag is shown)
- What someone watching might think that means: This cane is as good as a Quad Cane, or other canes and costs much less
- What it really means: The Quad Cane and other higher-end walking aids may not be directly comparable to the Trusty Cane, however a quick search of Walgreens reveals several “quad foot” canes for as low as $24.99 which is cheaper than the advertised price of $29.99 for the Trusty Cane.
- What the commercial said: you can get your Trusty Cane now for only $29.99
- What you might think this means: I only have to pay $29.99 for this cane
- What it really means: When the announcer mentions the $29.99 price, on screen under the large-print “$29.99”, in very small, near impossible to read fine-print we can also see “plus S&H”. This means that you must also pay additional shipping and handling costs but at no time are these costs mentioned. It is only after we read the www.TrustCane.com website that we learn the price for shipping and handling is $7.99. This means that your $29.99 Trusty Cane will actually cost you $37.98.
- What the commercial said: Trusty Cane comes with a full guarantee. If you are not satisfied for any reason just return it for a quick refund
- What you might think this means: If I don’t like the cane I can send it back and I will get back all of my money / I have nothing to lose by trying this cane
- What it really means: The Trusty Cane website has this information regarding the money back guarantee:
Your Satisfaction is 100% Guaranteed. If you are dissatisfied with any merchandise from Telebrands for any reason, simply return the product within 30 days for an easy refund of your purchase price, excluding shipping and handling.
The guarantee/return policy also has these limits and restrictions:
- The $7.99 shipping and handling fee will not be refunded to you
- You must pay to return-ship the cane to the company
- You must return all of the original packaging, manuals, parts, accessories, and anything else that came in the box with the cane
- If you return the product, and the company decides that you did not meet the criteria above for returning the cane (ie; if you did not return it in the original box, forgot to include the instruction manual, or it gets damaged during the return shipping) they may choose to not send you a refund, and they will not return the cane to you
- What the commercial said: There’s even a 25% partner discount
- What you might think this means: I can get it for 25% less so I will only have to pay $22.49
How do you get the 25% discount / What is the 25% Partner Discount?
We have searched the entire www.TrustyCane.com website and have been unsuccessful at finding any information regarding how to apply for, or qualify for this 25% “partner discount” and were forced to call the telephone number listed at the TrustyCane.com website (1-800-962-2713) to inquire about the discount mentioned in the TV commercial. We were told that if we purchase 2 canes, the 2nd cane will qualify for the 25% discount, and would cost $22.50 plus the $7.99 shipping and handling fee mentioned previously. The 25% discount does not apply to the first cane and only applies 2nd, 3rd, 4th cane that you purchase. The helpful representative on the phone was not able to tell us if this discount will be calculated automatically when purchasing 2 or more canes online via the website, but did mention that there is a limit to how many canes you can purchase at the 25% discounted price, however she was not sure what that limit was. She “thinks” it was a limit of 4 or 5 canes.
This commercial uses little deception when describing the cane, but some people may consider the “25% Partner Discount”, additional fees for shipping and handling only mentioned in the fine-print, or the restrictive guarantee/refund policy to be somewhat deceptive. Compare this to the HurryCane TV Commercial.