“Stacy’s Mom” Cadillac SRX
In this commercial for the 2014 Cadillac SRX we see Stacy’s Mom driving her new SRX to the elementary school to pick up her daughter. All of the men are distracted because she’s “got it goin on”. This commercial has very little dialog and we mostly hear the song “Stacy’s Mom” performed by the group Fountains of Wayne. Some people have mistaken Stacy’s mom to be actress Joan Severance which is not correct. The actress that plays Stacy’s Mom is actually model Magali Amadei who is also featured in the Chico’s Slimming Clothing Line commercial.
(Song Stacy’s Mom performed by Fountains of Wayne): Stacy’s mom has got it going on.. Stacy’s mom has got it going on. Stacy’s mom has got it going on.
(Announcer): The beautifully practical and practically beautiful Cadillac SRX. Get the best offers of the seasons now. Lease this 2014 SRX for around $369 a month with Premium Care Maintenance included.
Claims made and what they really mean:
- What the commercial said: ..beautifully practical and practically beautiful Cadillac SRX
- What some people might think that means: This car is both beautiful and practical, just like Stacy’s mom
- What it really means: Both the terms beauty and practicality are subjective and difficult to measure. Whether or not the SRX is beautiful is in the eye of the beholder however based on appearances, many people would consider the 2014 SRX practical, many others, may not.
- What the announcer says: Lease this 2014 SRX for around $369 a month
- What some people might think that means: I can get this Cadillac for only $369 per month
- What it really means: One key word to take notice of in this claim is “around”. This does not mean “exactly”, however should be able to assume that the monthly amount would not be much more than $369. We can also see on screen a combination of easy to read print and some very fine-print that is very difficult to read:
Season’s best event from Cadillac. 2014 SRX Luxury Collection. $369 per month for well-qualified lessees. Ultra-low-mileage lease. $4,299 due at signing after all offers. 36 months. No Security Deposit required. Your payments may vary. Mileage charge of $0.25 over 30,000 miles. Residency restrictions apply. At participating dealers only.
What the fine print means:
Only “well qualified lessees” will be able to get the $369 a month offer. Usually “well qualified” means “very good credit score”. ”Ultra low mileage lease” in this case means that over the 3 year lease if you drive more than 30,000 miles (or 10,000 miles per year), you will be charged $0.25 per mile over 30,000 miles. For example, if over the course of your 3 year lease you end up driving 40,000 miles you will have to pay $2,500 at the end of your lease. ”$4,299 due at signing after all offers” is fairly self-explanitory and means that you must pay $4,299 up front in addition to the $369 per month lease payments. ”Residency restrictions apply” means that you must live in certain states for this offer, but the commercial does not specify which states. Finally, “At participating dealers only” means that not all Cadillac dealers may have this lease offer.
It is also very important to understand that this offer is for a lease, not a purchase, meaning that after the 3 year term you must return the car.
This commercial has no deceptive wording and even though the fine print is nearly impossible to read, the lease offer is standard when compared to other car lease offers. This commercial seems mostly legit!Stacy's Mom Cadillac Commercial by R. Wilson