ADT “Woman walks in on a burglar”
This commercial shows the experience of a woman that walks in on someone burglarizing her home, and how traumatic it can be and why an ADT alarm now makes her feel safe. The name of the actress that plays the woman is Delaina Mitchell.
What the ADT Commercial Says:
(Woman): We got ADT because I walked in on a burglary once. They physical damage was pretty bad. The emotional toll was even worse. Our daughter had nightmares. What that robber really took from us was our piece of mind. With ADT, we got it back.
(Announcer): Every 14.3 seconds a burglary takes place in the United States so rely on the fast alarm response of ADT. A single ADT system can help protect you from burglary, fire and high levels of carbon monoxide. When an alarm is received ADT calls the local authorities for help. And you can get this monitored protection plus great local service starting at just over a dollar a day. And only ADT offers a theft protection guarantee.
(Woman): Take it from me. The time to think about a security system isn’t after something bad happens, it’s before.
(Announcer): Call now and get one of our best values. ADT’s Quick Connect Plus System installed for $99. Hurry and take advantage of these savings. ADT, always there.
Phrases or claims in this commercial and what they really mean:
- What the commercial said: Every 14.3 seconds a burglary takes place in the United States so rely on the fast alarm response of ADT. A single ADT system can help protect you from burglary, fire and high levels of carbon monoxide.
- What some people might think that means: If I have an ADT alarm system my house won’t get burglarized
- What it really means: The announcer does not say your home will not be burglarized or broken into if you have an ADT alarm. The announcer says “A single ADT system can help protect you from burglary” . The claim is that it can help protect, not ‘protect’ or ‘prevent’.
- What the commercial said: ADT offers a theft protection guarantee
- What some people might think that means: If I have an ADT alarm it is guaranteed that nothing will be stolen from my house
- What it really means: According to information provided on the ADT.com website, the Theft Protection Guarantee will cover your insurance deductible, up to $500, if a burglary occurs while your system is armed. This means that if someone breaks into your home while you are sleeping, and the alarm is not on, you get nothing. If someone steals $400 worth of valuables, your alarm system was armed, and your insurance detectable is $500 or $1000, you get nothing. If someone steals $5,000 worth of valuables, your alarm was armed and you have a $1,000 deductible, you get $500
- What the commercial said: Call now and get one of our best values. ADT’s Quick Connect Plus System installed for $99
- What some people might think that means: I can get an ADT alarm system installed and I only have to pay $99
- What it really means: In the fine print the details specify that the cost of the alarm installation is $399. If you send in a $200 mail-in cash rebate and sign up for a 36-month monitoring contract at $49.99 per month, the net cost of the installation will be $99. Total cost (installation plus monitoring fees) to you will be $1,898.64 (36 months of monitoring @49.99 per month plus $99 net installation fee)
When asked many people felt that this ADT commercial uses fear and emotion to make the viewer feel vulnerable in their home and uses tricky wording and fine-print to make the viewer think that they can get an ADT system for only $99 when in reality the total cost is closer to $2,000.