2013 Best Buy: Twas The Snowdin Family
In this, the 4th in Best Buy’s series of Christmas ‘Twas commercials, Jason Schwartzman reads the story of the Snowdin family’s holiday shopping adventure.
Twas The Snowdin Family:
(Jason Schwartzman): Twas the Snowdin Family that had run out of fun ’till dad trekked through the snow for….
(Dad): The new XBox One
(Best Buy guy): Gaming, music, live TV, all in one device
(Jason Schwartzman): Hey, can I get in on that? It looks nice.
(Announcer): Great gifts like the XBox One at your ultimate Holiday Showroom, Best Buy
Claims in the commercial and what they mean:
- What the commercial said: Great gifts like the XBox One (An XBox One shown on screen, with the “Low Price Guarantee)
- What some people might think that means: I can get an XBox One from Best Buy for the lowest price, guaranteed
- What it really means: When this statement is made, in large print we can see “Coming 11/22”, meaning that you cannot get an Xbox One from Best Buy until after November 22, 2013. We also see in large print “Low Price Guarantee”, but the following very small, very fine-print is also displayed at the bottom of the screen:
Find a lower price on qualifying products online or in store and we’ll match it. Learn more at BestBuy.com/lpg
According to the BestBuy.com website, this is how Best Buy’s Low Price Guarantee works and what you have to do:
- Find the lower price online and save the URL
- Find the qualifying product on the BestBuy.com website. It must be marked with a “LOW PRICE GUARANTEE” badge, found on the product’s description page, above the price block. If the product does not have the low priced guaranteed badge, it is not eligible
- Call 1-888-BEST BUY and direct the phone representative to the website with the lower price. Or, print the page showing the lower price and bring to a Best Buy store.
In fine print on the BestBuy.com/lpg website, these additional conditions are also listed:
[Best Buy] will match the current pre-tax price for new, identical, immediately available products from a local retail competitor’s store and these designated major online retailers: Amazon.com, Apple.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, Frys.com, hhgregg.com, HP.com, HomeDepot.com, Lowes.com, Newegg.com, OfficeDepot.com, OfficeMax.com, Rakuten.com Shopping, Sears.com, Staples.com, Target.com, TigerDirect.com and Walmart.com. We will match prices between our stores and BestBuy.com. We will also match prices post purchase if we lower our price within 15 days of your purchase.
The Guarantee is limited to one price match per identical item, per guest and does not apply to: Contract mobile phones sold by any online retailer, the online prices of retailers not listed, the online prices of third party vendors (Marketplace vendors) on designated major online retailers websites, post purchase price match requests to competitor’s prices, Best Buy for Business, offers that include financing, gift card offers, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, coupon offers, competitor’s service prices, items that are advertised as limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, refurbished/used items, our and our competitor’s Deal of the Day, daily deals, special hour sale event items and credit card offers, BestBuy.com Clearance & More and Marketplace items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving.
Does Best Buy always have the lowest price, guaranteed?
NO! Best Buy will match the price (not make it lower) only if the product is marked with the “low price guarantee” badge, is in-stock and available at that moment at another local store or only the online stores listed above. The low price guarantee does not apply if the competitor is offering a “Deal of the Day”, or other special events or offers and does not apply for anything on sale on Thanksgiving weekend.
This Best Buy commercial, like the others in this series make use of fine print and details only available at the BestBuy.com website that some people may consider a deliberate attempt to deceive viewers into believing that Best Buy has the lowest prices, guaranteed, which is not the case.