“You Can Transform” / Change Your Life, for Free – Bodybuilding.com
This nationally airing commercial for Bodybuilding.com features what are claimed to be real members telling us how their lives were transformed after signing up and using the Bodybuilding.com website.
What they tell us in this commercial:
(Announcer): It’s time to put before behind you and make after, a reality. It’s time to join over 8 million people at Bodybuilding.com who have transformed their bodies, minds, and lives for free.
(Antonio): I was completely disgusted with the way I had looked and I told myself I aint going out like that.
(Announcer): Bodybuilding.com has complete fitness plans from the best experts, athletes, and personal trainers to help you accomplish any goal.
(Ginger): My health just started to decline and I wasn’t happy anymore. Bodybuilding.com changed my life.
(Announcer): Answer a few quick questions and Bodybuilding.com will provide your perfect plan.
(Antonio): You can definitely change your life. I’m a prime example of that.
(Josh): I can go on to Bodybuilding.com, I can find a plan and I don’t have to pay a dime, it’s free.
(Announcer): Bodybuilding.com has everything you need to burn fat, build muscle, and become your best self. Go to Bodybuilding.com today. Change your life, for free.
Analysis of their wording:
- What the commercial said: It’s time to join over 8 million people at Bodybuilding.com who have transformed their bodies, minds, and lives for free.
- What you might think this means: I can sign up and use this website for free and I can transform my body, mind and my life.
- What it actually means: The announcer clearly says that these 8 million people have transformed their minds, bodies and lives for free. However the announcer says it is time “to join” them – he did not say that you will transform your life, body or mind.
- What Ginger said: My health just started to decline and I wasn’t happy anymore. Bodybuilding.com changed my life.
- What some people might think she means: Ginger was sick/not healthy and Bodybuilding.com cured her/made her better/made her more happy.
- What it really means: Two statements are made by Ginger. 1) her health was declining/she wasn’t happy and 2) Bodybuilding.com changed her life. She did not tell us how it changed her life. She did not tell us that she is now in better heath nor did she claim that she was more happy. It is left up to the viewer to infer or assume how her life was changed.
- What Josh claims: I can find a plan and I don’t have to pay a dime, it’s free.
- What some people might think he meant: I can use/find a plan on the website and I don’t have to pay anything
- Our analysis: Josh’s statement is clear and unambiguous. He says that finding a plan is free and will not cost anything
- What the announcer said: Change your life, for free.
- What some people might think this means: Using bodybuilding.com is free
- What it actually means: This statement is also clear with little room for confusion or deception.
This TV commercial uses very little deceptive or confusing wording and seems legit!