California Psychics: One Year Later
In this ad for California Psychics, customers from a commercial made last year give us an update on their lives since they appeared in that commercial.
What the California Psychics customers say:
(Brandy): I got everything I can imagine from my reading. That reading was a year ago and it’s still helping me
(Charlie): This one call absolutely changed my life. It’s really amazing to look back at that girl and see how far she’s come
(Monica): Don’t be afraid she said take the leap. California Psychics new exactly what was going to happen
(Announcer): We’ve helped millions of people stay prepared for tomorrow. Call now to speak to a psychic for just $1 per minute
(un-named customer): She put my mind at ease. She said that I would meet a man, and I did and I landed the job of my dreams about 8 months ago.
(Brandy): The focus of my reading was about my relationship and my psychic told me he was the one and we were on the right path.
(Announcer): Get started now for just a dollar per minute. Our Psychics are available 24/7 when you need them most.
(Charlie): It’s almost like ah-ha moments of oh my god, like I’m on the right path
(Monica): She predicted very accurately everything that was going to come to pass
(Announcer): Call now to get the answers you need. Tomorrow starts today with California Psychics
The Fine Print
This is a compilation of the fine print shown throughout this ad and what it means:
- Testimonial based on actual psychic readings. Participants compensated for their appearance
They are talking about psychic readings that they actually had, and they got paid to do this commercial
- Introductory offer of $1/minute is available for up to 30 minutes. Additional readings at $4 – $13 per minute. Must be 18. For entertainment purposes only
The $1 per minute introductory offer is good only for up to a 30 minute reading. After that, a reading will cost you from $4 per minute to $13 per minute. A 15 minute reading at $4 per minute will cost you $60. A 15 minute reading at $13 pre minute will cost you $195. “For entertainment purposes only” means, you should not take anything they tell you seriously. All calls and psychic readings are done for fun and entertainment only, similar to watching a movie, a TV show, or a cartoon.
Statements or claims made, and what they mean:
- What the commercial said: She predicted very accurately everything that was going to come to pass
- What some people might think that means: If I call California Psychics the psychic will accurately predict everything that will come up in my future
- What it really means: It is important to remember the fine print that they are required to display, and make as small as possible for you to see: “For entertainment purposes only“. Ask yourself, why would they put that in their TV commercial? It is also important to remember that this is a customer testimonial/opinion, that can say virtually anything with little or no requirement to back-up or prove what is said or the claim that is being made. Finally, as mentioned in the fine print, the people appearing in this commercial are being paid. It is possible that being paid and having an opportunity to be on TV could influence what some people say in order to have a better chance at getting on TV.
- What the ad shows on-screen: SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
- What some people might think that means: If I don’t like my psychic reading or if it does not come true, I will get all of my money back
- What it actually means: You do not get any of your money back, period. These are the full details of the California Psychics Satisfaction Guarantee from the CaliforniaPsychics.com website:
We don’t guarantee that our psychics’ predictions will come true, but we do our best to ensure that you enjoy the reading. To ensure your satisfaction with your reading experience, we offer a guarantee on your most recent paid reading. The rules with respect to credit for readings are as follows:
- To apply for a credit, please call Customer Service at 1-800-573-4784 within 24 hours of the reading in question.
- We will credit your account in California Psychics dollars for an amount determined at the sole discretion of California Psychics based on your reading length and circumstances. No credit granted can exceed the dollar equivalent of a 15 minute reading. Credit requests are limited to one unsatisfactory paid call per month.
- Our credit offer is valid once per psychic and does not apply to readings with psychics for whom you have received any credit in the past.
- All account credits are issued in California Psychic dollars. No cash refunds.
- For us to issue a credit to your member account, you must have an account that is in good standing.
- Only genuine issues relating to your satisfaction with the reading in question (as determined at our discretion) will be considered for a credit request. We reserve the right to refuse a refund.
What the California Psychics guarantee means:
- They don’t guarantee anything that the psychics say will come true
- You will only get credited back in “California Psychics dollars” to be used for more readings – “NO CASH REFUNDS”
- You will never get back anything more than 15 minutes worth of a reading
- Only after California Psychics decides that you really weren’t satisfied will they choose to issue your credit request. If they decide not to, for any reason, they do not have to give you anything back.
Are the Psychics at California Psychics real?
Consider a few things before you make a decision about California Psychics being able to read your future, read your past, or give you any helpful advice whatsoever.
First, read through the disclaimer posted on their website regarding their psychics:
AT CALIFORNIA PSYCHICS WE WANT YOU TO ENJOY AND BENEFIT FROM YOUR READING. OUR PSYCHICS MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO PROVIDE YOU WITH HELPFUL ADVICE. HOWEVER, THIS INFORMATION SHOULD NOT BE USED IN PLACE OF ANY RECOMMENDATIONS BY MEDICAL, LEGAL, OR FINANCIAL PROFESSIONALS OR OTHER PROFESSIONAL COUNSELORS. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO EVALUATE ANY INFORMATION, OPINION, ADVICE OR OTHER CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH CALIFORNIA PSYCHICS
Basically, California Psychics is telling you that all you are getting from their psychics is only advice, and that you should never take that advice over any professional advice. It also goes on to say that it is up to you to evaluate what the psychics tell you. If you do something based on what one of their psychics tells you to do and it turns out bad, it was your responsibility, and is your problem, not theirs.
Secondly, consider that never once in human history has any psychic been able to demonstrate in any controlled way, any genuine psychic ability. The James Randi Educational Foundation has for many years, offered $1,000,000 to anyone that can demonstrate psychic abilities in a controlled testing environment. To date, nobody has been able to claim this prize. To read more about the psychic challenged, see this page: The JREF Psychic Challenge
Third, and lastly, consider that any real psychic would surely have all the riches of the world at their disposal, including kings and presidents alike seeking their advice. If any person could ever demonstrate any valid psychic ability it would be one of the biggest events in human history and you would surely have heard about it on the news.
This commercial uses testimonials and fine print that some people may think is intended to trick viewers into thinking that the psychics have real psychic abilities.