Colgate Optic White Toothpaste
We are told how Colgate Optic White can make our teeth look fabulous while watching a pretty woman brush her teeth. The name of the actress that plays the woman brushing her teeth is Caroline Ford.
What the announcer says:
Now your best accessory can be your smile with Colgate Optic White Toothpaste. Unlike the leading whitening toothpaste, Colgate Optic White goes beyond surface stains to deeply whiten teeth. It whitens over 3 shades! That’s more than the leading express whitening strip. So the only accessory you need to look fabulous is your smile.
Colgate Optic White whitens more than the leading express whitening strips and try the new collection for whiter teeth in one day.
Claims made and what they mean:
- What the commercial said: Colgate Optic White goes beyond surface stains to deeply whiten teeth
- What some people might think that means: My teeth will go from dark yellow to sparkly-white, just like is shown in the commercial.
- What it actually means: While we see the teeth in the graphic going from dark yellow to bright, white, there is fine-print shown that says “simulated whitening”. This means, that the graphic we are shown is simulated (fake) and does not reflect the actual amount of whitening that we should expect.
- What the announcer in the commercial said: It whitens over 3 shades! That’s more than the leading express whitening strip
- What some people might think that means: If i use Optic White my teeth will be 3X whiter and it’s better/faster than whitening-strips.
- What it actually means: The commercial never actually said that Optic White is faster than “express strips”, but the fine print does tell us how long we should expect to wait, and what else is needed to see teeth that are 3 shades whiter: “After a dental cleaning and 4 weeks, twice use daily“. This means that we must have our teeth cleaned by a dentist and then brush with Optic White two times every day, for 4 weeks (about a month).
We are then shown more fine-print that says:
After a dental cleaning and 4 weeks, twice use daily vs. leading express strips, one treatment used as directed, measured at 4 weeks.
This means that after brushing two times per day, for a month, your teeth would be whiter than if you used an “express” whitening strip one time.
This ad makes use of wording and fine-print that may confuse some people into believing that this product works better or faster than whitening strips for an equal amount of time.