The Handy Stitch by Idea Village available at www.GetHandyStitch.com
In this commercial Marybeth Hoyt tells us about the Handy Stitch and how it can make sewing fun, fast, and easy. This special offer includes a 64 piece thread and bobbin collection
What they say in this commercial:
(Marybeth Hoyt): Hi, Mary Beth Hoyt here for the Handy Stitch the sewing solution for today and it makes sewing fun, fast and easy. Handy Stitch uses the latest microtechnology and actually fits in the palm of your hand. It does the jobs that conventional sewing machines can’t so you can sew anything anywhere, at anytime. It has the precision of a small machine to repair delicate fabrics like silk yet has the power of a big machine to sew through tough fabrics like denim. Whether you’re a beginner or an expert the Handy Stitch is for you! You can even do repairs while wearing your clothes. Repair a pocket without taking your pants off, fix a fallen hem in the office in no time. Even use it for patching up outdoors. It’s quick around corners and can add a decorative touch to all sorts of fabrics. You would never be able to sew draperies with a regular machine. The Handy Stitch is a portable sewing solution that makes life a little easier. It lets you put the professional touch on home your decorations and will pay for itself over and over. It gives you that genuine chain-stitch which means you get a secure, strong, and even stitch every time. It’s battery powered or AC adaptable so you can sew any fabric any where, any time. Because of of it’s compact size it travels with you. The Handy Stitch can even be used outside to repair a flag or fix an awning.
(Announcer): Regular machines are bulky and can cost over $500! Call now and you’ll get the Handy Stitch complete with 4 extra-wide metal spools, the needle threader and an extra spool pin for regular sized thread, a $40 value for just $19.99! We’ll also include this giant 64 piece thread and bobbin collection so you’ll always have the right colored thread for any job! A $20 value, yours free.
You get everything, the Handy Stitch, all the accessories and the giant 64 piece thread and bobbin collection an incredible $60 value all for just $19.99.
Some statements or claims and their real meaning:
- What the commercial said: Handy Stitch uses the latest microtechnology
- What some people might think that means: It has the newest 2014 microtechnology inside
- What it really means: This claim is clear, and the commercial tells us that the Handy Stitch has the newest/most current (“latest”) micro-technology inside. AdFibs.com does not review products (we only review the TV commercial) but a quick look at the external design of the Handy Stitch over the last 13 years shows little change. It is possible that in internal “microtechnology” has been updated since 2001, but if it has been changed or updated there is little evidence by looking at the external design.
- What the Marybeth Hoyt said: You would never be able to sew draperies with a regular machine. The Handy Stitch is a portable sewing solution that makes life a little easier. (we see a woman struggling to sew hanging drapes with a regular sewing machine, we then see the drapes being sewn with the Handy Stitch).
- What some people might think that means: You can’t sew drapes with a regular sewing machine / you can only sew drapes with the Handy Stitch
- What it really means: When we asked a person familiar with sewing, we were told that sewing draperies with a regular sewing machine is simple to do once the draperies are taken down. The person went on to say that only a person with brain-damage or similarly low intelligence would ever try to sew anything with a regular sewing machine as shown in this commercial (her words, not ours!). Additionally, Marybeth Hoyt never said “you can sew draperies with the Handy Stitch”. She said “you would never be able to sew draperies with a regular machine” and then went on to say “Handy Stitch is a portable sewing solution that makes life a little easier“. No claim was ever made that you can actually sew draperies – the claim is that it “makes life a little easier”.
- What the Marybeth Hoyt says in the ad: It’s battery powered or AC adaptable so you can sew any fabric any where, any time.
- What some people might think that means: I can use batteries or plug it in / It comes with a power-adaptor plug.
- What it really means: The claim is that it uses batteries or you can use an AC adaptor to plug it in. According to what is shown on the TV commercial and at the www.GetHandyStitch.com website, the Handy Stitch does not come with batteries or a plug/AC adaptor. Both must be purchased separately.
- What the commercial announcer said: Regular machines are bulky and can cost over $500
- What some people might think that means: I would have to spend over $500 on a regular sewing machine
- What it actually means: This claim is true: Regular sewing machines can cost over $500, however this does not mean that all sewing machines cost $500 or more. A quick search of Target.com or Amazon.com reveals several regular sewing machines for as low as $49. Some people may consider this an intentional attempt at fooling people not familiar with the cost of a regular sewing machine into thinking that all sewing machines are this expensive.
- What the commercial announcer said: a $40 value for just $19.99! / We’ll also include this giant 64 piece thread and bobbin collection so you’ll always have the right colored thread for any job! A $20 value, yours free / You get everything, the Handy Stitch, all the accessories and the giant 64 piece thread and bobbin collection an incredible $60 value all for just $19.99
- What some people might think that means: I can get the Handy Stitch and all these great accessories and I only have to send in or pay $19.99
How much does the Handy Stitch cost?
The announcer tells us 2 separate times that we can get the Handy Stitch for $19.99 and that we can get the additional bonus accessories for free. There is no mention of any additional fees or costs of any times. On the screen, we can see the price of $19.99 in large print and there is no additional fine print to indicate any additional costs
It is not until 14 seconds before the end of the commercial that we can see the words “Plus S&H” in very small print under the giant “$19.99” price and “Just pay S&H” in fine print next to “With 64-Piece Thread & Bobbin Collection!”.
Only then is it revealed that there are shipping and handling fees, but the commercial does not give us any information about how much those costs are. Only after visiting the www.GetHandyStitch.com website are we able to determine the actual cost. The price for the Handy Stitch is $19.99. Shipping and handling cost is $7.99. The bonus thread and bobbin collection is free, but the price for shipping and handling is $7.99. The actual, total cost for your $19.99 Handy Stitch is $35.97 ($19.99+7.99+$7.99). Many people may consider the failure to mention these additional costs while touting “only $19.99” multiple times to be an extremely deceptive practice and an attempt to trick viewers into thinking that the price is much lower than it actually is.
The Handy Stitch commercial uses some wording that some people may find deceptive and boasts a price of only $19.99 which in reality is closer to $35.