The Hook N Hang car organizer by Tristar Products Inc, available from www.HookNHang.com
This TV commercial for the Hook N Hang tells us how unsafe it can be to leave loose things laying around inside your car, and why we need the Hook ‘N Hang hanger.
What the announcer tells us:
Does stopping short make your stuff fly? Is that backseat clutter enough to make your cry? Then you need HookNHang, the incredible car organizer that will transform that chaotic mess into a neat, spotless interior giving you double the space in seconds. Simply hook onto your seat then hang any item. Hang purses, shopping bags, backpacks, laptops, umbrellas, gym bags, and more. No more spills from slipping and sliding. No more distractions when driving.
The secret is Hook ‘N Hang’s flexible handle and rotating hooks automatically customizes to any car. Keeping all of your valuables neatly organized and safely within reach. Big or small, Hook N Hang hangs them all! Transform your car into a working office. HookNHang is super strong, watch! One hook can hold 10 watermelons. That’s over 75 pounds! Finally kids clutter can be neat and organized, a mother’s dream come true! No more spills! Hook N Hang locks securely in place so it won’t tip over. It’s like having a closet in your car! No more straining, Hook ‘N Hang is perfect for the whole family. Now your car can go from this (shows messy car with bags laying all over the seats) to this (shows bags hanging from Hook N Hangs)!
On this exclusive TV offer you get two Hook ‘N Hangs! That’s enough to hang over 40 shopping bags all for only $14.95. Plus, that’s not all. Order now and you’ll get the Hook ‘N Hold car entertainer, free! Hang DVDs, CDs, maps, bottles, chargers, wet-wipes, and more! But wait! Call now and we’ll double your offer, just pay separate processing and handling. You get four Hook N Hangs and two Hook ‘N Hold car entertainers! That’s enough to hold all of this, an $80 value, all for the incredible low price of only $14.95!
So don’t drive with things that slide, spill and fall, HookNHang will hold them all! No available in stores, order now!
Some of the phrases or claims made and what they mean:
- What the commercial said: the incredible car organizer that will transform that chaotic mess into a neat, spotless interior
- What some people might think this claim means: If I use a Hook N Hang, my car will be neat and spotless
- What it actually means: This bit of puffery is intended to sell us on the value of the product, but it seems that no matter how many shopping bags you can hang with the HookNHang, it cannot make the inside of your car “spotless”.
- What the commercial claims: One hook can hold 10 watermelons. That’s over 75 pounds!
- What many people may assume it means: It can hold over 75 pounds
- What it really means: This claim is clear and without deception. The company, Tristar Products, INC claims that the hook will hold over 75 pounds.
- What the commercial claims: all of this, an $80 value
- What many people might think this means: All this would cost me $80 any other time or from any other place
- What it really means: We are unable to find anywhere that sells these items separately, or bundled together for $80. We are however able to find these items for $14.95 (plus other fees, see below), so we cannot determine how they have arrived at a “value” of $80. Based on our math, the “value” is whatever we can buy it for, or whatever we are willing to pay for it. This bit of ‘salesmanship’ may be an attempt to trick viewers into believing they are getting a much better value or deal than they actually are.
- What the commercial said: you get two Hook ‘N Hangs! .. all for only $14.95. Plus, that’s not all. Order now and you’ll get the Hook ‘N Hold car entertainer, free! ..We’ll double your offer, just pay separate processing and handling. You get four Hook N Hangs and two Hook ‘N Hold car entertainers! ..all for the incredible low price of only $14.95
- What viewers may think it meant: I will get 4 Hook N Hangs and two Hook ‘N Holds and I only have to send in $14.95
- How much Hook ‘N Hang really costs: When the announcer makes the claim he mentions processing and handling fees only when referring to the double-offer. The only mention of processing and handling fees on your first item is very fine print shown under the large “ONLY $14.95” text. When going to the www.HookNHang.com website, we are able to find the actual costs:
Pricing for the Hook ‘N Hang:
Your first Hook N Hang is $14.95 plus an additional $7.99 “P&H”. Your second one is $7.99 more for “processing and handling”. The total cost for your $14.95 Hook and Hangs will be $30.93 (14.95+$7.99+$7.99). The real price of $30.93 for your “only $14.95” Hook ‘N Hangs is over double what this commercial leads us to believe.
This TV commercials a bit of wording that some may find slightly misleading and a claim of “only $14.95” that some viewers may find completely deceptive if not dishonest.