Hydroxatone: Giving away one million free Microderm Facial Brushes; available from www.GetHydroxatone.com
This commercial tells us that Hydroxatone wants to set a world record for giving away one-million free Facial Brushes.
What this TV commercial says:
Attention all women over 18. If you don’t have a facial exfoliating brush yet, we need your help and you need ours. We’re Hydroxatone and we have a mission, to set a world record by mailing out a million free sonic microderm facial brushes as quickly as possible. We’re calling it the Million Brush Mail-out and we want to include you. This free brush is yours just for trying our anti-aging breakthrough, Hydroxatone. So call now and tell us where to send your Hydroxatone and free facial brush. 1-800-772-0089.
Exfoliating, softening, smoothing, renewing your skin for youthful radiance. This luxurious facial brush is valued at $60. But call now and you can get it free if you’re one of the first callers right now. Again, we’re trying to mail out a million free facial brushes as quickly as possible, so we need your help. Call immediately to get your free facial brush and try Hydroxatone. 1-800-772-0089.
Statements and claims made, and what they really mean or say:
- What the commercial said: we have a mission, to set a world record by mailing out a million free sonic microderm facial brushes as quickly as possible. We’re calling it the Million Brush Mail-out and we want to include you. This free brush is yours just for trying our anti-aging breakthrough, Hydroxatone
- What some people might think that means: I can get this free facial brush and I don’t have to pay any money
- What it really means: The last part of the sentence “free brush is yours just for trying…Hydroxatone” means that even though the facial brush might be free, the “just for trying” part means that you must “try” (read: BUY) the Hydroxatone product, although up to this point there is no mention of any details or costs. Only after 37 seconds into this 60 second ad do we see in very fine-print “Free facial brush when you try Hydroxatone. Details apply“, and yet we are still given no details or information about the actual cost required to receive your ‘free’ brush. Only at approximately 6 seconds before the end of the commercial are we shown the following fine-print:
30 day risk free trial. Shipping and processing, return postage extra. Auto-ship and other terms and conditions apply.
From this fine print we learn that they are offering a 30 day, risk-fee trial, we will have to pay shipping and processing and postage, and there will be an “auto ship” requirement, but no actual cost information is provided.
- What the commercial said: This luxurious facial brush is valued at $60
- What some people might think that means: The free brush would cost me $60 if I wanted to buy one
Is the free facial brush really worth $60?
The commercial gives us no details about the brush so it is impossible to determine it’s true retail value, however a quick search at Amazon.com reveals several very similar, if not identical looking brushes ranging in price from approximately $12 to $35.
How much does Hydroxatone cost? / Is the facial brush really free?
The only way to determine the actual cost of Hydroxatone and the full details about getting your free brush is to visit the www.GetHydroxaTone.com or www.hydroxatonetrial.com website. There we can find the following details regarding cost and conditions:
Please send me Hydroxatone to try risk free for 30-days. I will be billed S&P $1.99 today. With the 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee, I just have to call within 30 days of receipt and then have 2 weeks to return the products to avoid additional charges. If I keep the products, I will be billed two payments of $69.95, 30 days and 60 days following receipt of my shipment. Then unless I cancel, I will continue to receive a new 60 day supply every 2 months for $69.95 per month plus $7.95 S&P which will be billed to the card I provide today. By clicking “Yes! Start My Trial”, I authorize Hydroxatone to charge my card for each shipment as described above. Local and State sales tax may apply. I can call customer service at 1-800-672-2259 at any time to cancel. My 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee covers every shipment of Hydroxatone.
What the conditions that you must agree to mean:
To get your free brush, you must authorize a $1.99 shipping and processing charge to your credit card immediately and authorize automatic shipments (and billing) of Hydroxatone every 6o days. If you do nothing, your credit card will be billed $139 over the next 2 months. After that, more Hydroxatone will be shipped, and you will be billed $77.90 every 60 days.
For each shipment you receive you can take advantage of the 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee if you call to cancel within 30 days of the shipment. If you return the product you will not be refunded the $1.99 shipping fee (for the first shipment) or the $7.95 shipping fee for shipments after the first. You must also pay to ship the product back.
This ad makes extensive use of the “we want to set a world record by mailing out free facial brushes” claim that some people may think is simply a ploy to fool viewers into spending $139 for their facial product. Many people might ask “why not just send us a free brush if you want to set a world record for sending free brushes?”.