Medical Direct Club: Pain Free Catheters
This commercial tells us about a new pain free catheter and that you can get a free sample.
Attention catheter patients on Medicare. I use catheters, and if you do too, please listen carefully.
There is a new catheter that hurts less and you can get a free sample by calling this number, now. Pain and urinary tract infections have been avoided by many of my patients. These new disposable catheters hurt less. It’s an incredible new design that reduces pain. The eyelets are polished so they glide smoothly and effortlessly across your sensitive skin. The old catheters would scrape and cut causing pain and infections.
These new catheters are totally different. So smooth and painless, they changed my life. Call now and get a free sample. Medicare and your insurance will pay for up to 200 of these catheters per month, all at little or no cost to you. Call now for your free sample, it will arrive with a complete 90 day order and if it doesn’t reduce your pain, we’ll pick them up for free.
Key words and claims in this commercial and what they really mean:
- What the commercial said: Pain and urinary tract infections have been avoided by many of my patients. These new disposable catheters hurt less. It’s an incredible new design that reduces pain.
- What some people might think that means: This doctor says that by using these new catheters I can avoid pain and urinary tract infections
- What it really means: The man in the doctor’s costume seems to be no more that just that, a man in a costume. Medical Direct does not tell us his name, if he is a doctor, and if he is a Doctor, what kind of Doctor. He does not even have a name tag on his costume. The man in the doctor’s costume said “Pain and urinary tract infections have been avoided by many of my patients” .. and then goes on to talk about the new design of this new type of catheter. He did not tell us that by using this catheter, or any other type of catheter, that his patients avoided pain and urinary tract infections, he simply said, “Pain and urinary tract infections have been avoided by many of my patients”. When asked, many people agreed that the use of a man in a doctor’s costume saying “Pain and urinary tract infections have been avoided by many of my patients” is an extremely deceptive attempt to make you think that by using this particular catheter you can avoid pain and urinary tract infections, but this was never actually said.
- What the commercial said: Call now and get a free sample
- What most reasonable people might think this means: I can call and get a sample without paying any money
- Is it true?: When the commercial says this, we can see the words “free sample” on the screen, with a very small asterisk. Only at the end of the commercial do we see the ‘fine print’ for the asterisk. In this case the print was so small it was unreadable on our large-screen, high resolution computer monitors, but we were able to find the text on the Medicaldirectclub.com website:
Deductibles and Co-Pays apply. Patient responsible for payments not made by Medicare and/or Insurance. Up to 200 catheters per month for intermittent catheters only. Sample not for Foley catheters. Sample will arrive with complete 90 day order. Membership requires complete physician order. No purchase necessary. Sample a nominal value. Results may vary.
At Adfibs.com we have read more than our fair-share of fine print and we must confess that even this one has us stumped! This is our best interpretation of the Medical Direct fine-print. We apologize in advance if any of this is incorrect, but because the MedicalDirectclub.com website gives no supporting information, and the only way to request more information is by providing your full name, address, phone number and email address (which we decline to do at this time) these are our best guesses based on our understanding of the English language
- Deductibles and Co-Pays apply. Patient responsible for payments not made by Medicare and/or Insurance. Up to 200 catheters per month for intermittent catheters only.: As best that we can tell, this applies to orders that you place, not the free sample
- Sample not for Foley catheters: You cannot get a free sample of Foley catheters
- Sample will arrive with complete 90 day order: This appears to mean that you must either purchase a full order, or a full order will be sent to you and we assume you will have to pay for it
- Membership requires complete physician order: Self explanatory
- No purchase necessary: This seems to be in conflict with the part that says the sample will arrive with a complete 90 day order
- Results may vary: This appears to be the legal loophole that says no matter what we say in this television commercial, your results may be different
With the lack of information provided in the TV commercial or at the medicaldirectclub.com website, we are unable to determine if one can indeed get a free sample of these catheters without paying any money.
This commercial only makes a few claims, one by a man dressed up in a doctor’s costume, the other, impossible to verify.