Mr. Lid by Digital Target Marketing available from www.MrLid.com
This ad tells us about Mr. Lid. The only plastic food container with an attached lid that never gets lost.
What the announcer says:
Did you lose the lid for those leftovers? That one’s too big. This one’s too small! Introducing Mr. Lid. The one and only container with an attached lid! Neat and clean, and totally green!
The secret is the patented lid design with the seal-safe hinge not available on any other container, anywhere. Air and bacteria spoil food. Nasty and a waste of money. Durable Mr Lid is air-tight. The Seal-Safe Hinge locks in freshness so food lasts longer! That’s a waste of space [showing plastic containers piled up in the cupboard] but with Mr. Lid it’s like having an extra cabinet! Look, this container fell, it’s a disaster but drop Mr. Lid and it stays perfectly sealed.
BPA-free, Mr. Lid is microwave and dishwasher safe plus it’s non toxic and it’s great for packing the little one’s lunch. The lid never gets lost! Bring it to parties for chips and dip. In the garage store nuts and bolts, keep fido’s food fresh. Store toys for the boys or arts and crafts.
Stop spending hundreds of dollars buying flimsy containers and countless hours searching for lost lids. Now through this special TV offer you get 4 small, 2 medium, 2 large and 2 extra-large Mr. Lids with attached lids, all for just $10! But wait! Call right now and get a second set free! Just pay separate processing.
Mr. Lid also comes with an iron-clad 100% satisfaction guarantee. Try it for 60 days. If you don’t absolutely love it, send it back. You get it all. 20 Mr. Lids with attached lids and the satisfaction guarantee, an $80 value all for just $10. Also, ask about the super-sized value set. Which includes this salad container with the spill-proof snap-in cup. Perfect for on the go. What would you rather have? This or this? For the one and only container with an attached lid, call or click now!
Claims and what they actually mean:
- What the announcer said: Mr. Lid. The one and only container with an attached lid
- What you might think this means: Mr. Lid is the only plastic container with a lid that is attached
- What it actually means: The claim that Mr. Lid is the only container with an attached lid is clear, and there is no room for deception with the wording. The www.MrLid.com website backs this claim by saying that the attached-lid design is patented.
- What the commercial says: Air and bacteria spoil food. Nasty and a waste of money. Durable Mr Lid is air-tight. The Seal-Safe Hinge locks in freshness so food lasts longer!
- What you might think this means: If I don’t use a Mr. Lid, my food will spoil and be nasty. Only the Mr. Lid container can keep my food fresh
- What it means: Air and bacteria can spoil food, it can be nasty, and it can be a waste of money, but the announcer never says anything about Mr. Lid being the only container that can seal your food and prevent food from spoiling. Based on our research, any sealable plastic food container can also lock in freshness and help food to last longer.
- What the commercial said: this container fell, it’s a disaster but drop Mr. Lid and it stays perfectly sealed
- What some people might think that means: Only the Mr. Lid containers won’t open or make a mess when dropped.
- What it really means: The announcer never said that other containers can’t or don’t stay closed if they are dropped, he only said that the Mr. Lid stays perfectly sealed.
- What the commercial claims: Stop spending hundreds of dollars buying flimsy containers and countless hours searching for lost lids.
- What some people may think that means: If I buy a set of Mr. Lid I will save hundreds of dollars and I will save all that time not searching for lost lids.
- What it actually means: The announcer seems to insinuate that all other plastic containers are flimsy, and a waste of money, however this would only be true if you choose to purchase flimsy or low-quality containers. As for saving countless hours searching for lost lids, how many hours have you actually spent searching for lost lids? A permanently attached lid seems like a great idea, however some people may not have any issue with losing their un-attached lids.
- What the commercial says about how much Mr Lid costs: Now through this special TV offer you get 4 small, 2 medium, 2 large and 2 extra-large Mr. Lids with attached lids, all for just $10! But wait! Call right now and get a second set free! Just pay separate processing… You get it all. 20 Mr. Lids with attached lids and the satisfaction guarantee, an $80 value all for just $10
- What you may think this meant: I can get $80 worth of containers for only $10, but I might have to pay a small processing fee.
How much does Mr. Lid really cost?
The TV commercial tells us we can get two sets of Mr. Lid for only $10, and mentions in passing a fee for “separate processing”. But if you order Mr. Lid, this is how much you will really pay:
Your first set of Mr. Lid is $10, plus a shipping fee of $7.95. Your second set is free, but you must also pay that additional ‘processing’ cost of $7.95 more. The total price for your 2 sets of Mr. Lid will be $25.90 ($10+$7.95+$7.95). This actual cost of almost $26 is over 2.5X more than what the announcer tells us. If you live in Hawaii or Alaska, your cost will be $35.90, and if you live in Canada you must pay an additional $50 (yes, FIFTY DOLLAR) fee, bringing your price to $75.90.
Iron Clad, 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
The announcer assures us that we’ll be happy with Mr. Lid by telling us about the money back guarantee: Mr. Lid also comes with an iron-clad 100% satisfaction guarantee. Try it for 60 days. If you don’t absolutely love it, send it back
But he only says that if we don’t love it, we can send it back. He does not say we will get any money back! These are the details of the Mr. Lid Money Back Guarantee directly from the www.MrLid.com website:
100% Risk FREE Money Back Guarantee if you are unsatisfied for any reason. We will refund your product cost, shipping and handling, and even the return shipping! Please contact customer service for return authorization information.
The details for the money back guarantee indicate that you will indeed get all of your money back, including your shipping costs as well as your cost to return the items. This guarantee is far better than many other “as seen on TV” guarantee’s that only return the “price” of the product but do not include other costs such as shipping.
This commercial uses some wording that many people may find to be deceptive, particularly regarding the actual costs, but Mr. Lid does also have a money back guarantee which based on the MrLid.com website is one of the best we have seen.