Nutrisystem Fast 5 – Lose 5 pounds in a week, guaranteed
In this commercial for Nutrisystem we are told that we can lose 5 pounds in one week guaranteed, and “Michelle” tells us that she lost 41 pounds using Nutrisystem.
What this TV advert says:
(Announcer): Lose 5 pounds in your first week or your money back guaranteed with the new Fast 5 from Nutrisystem and it’s free.
(Michelle): I’m Michelle and I’ve lost 41 pounds on Nutrisystem
(Announcer): You can eat foods you love and still lose weight
(Michelle): My goal was to get into a little tiny black dress because I’d never worn that my entire life and I did that
(Announcer): Fast 5 includes our new Energi-zing shakes to boost your metabolism and Craving Crusher shakes to crush your cravings.
(Michelle): I used to hate having to wear a bathing suit and I have 5 bathing suits for the summer so my confidence is through the roof right now
(Announcer): Call now and get a full month supply of Nutrisytem for less than $12 a day. Order your 28 day My Way plan and we’ll rush you the all new Fast5 free. Lose 5 pounds in your first week or your money back guaranteed. Fast5 includes a 7 day supply of our Engeri-zing and Craving Crusher shakes and a full week of food absolutely free. You get it all for one low price
(Michelle): That was me before, this is me now (before and after images shown)
(Announcer): Order now and even get free shipping. Call 888-737-DIET
Statements made, the fine-print, and their real meaning:
- What the commercial said: Lose 5 pounds in your first week or your money back guaranteed
- What some people might think that means: If I use Nutrisystem I will lose 5 pounds in one week or I will get back all of the money I paid
- What it really means: When this claim is being made the following fine print is shown:
Results vary depending on starting weight, adherence to the program and other factors. If you’re not 100% satisfied, call to cancel within 14 days and return the remaining non-frozen food to us for a full refund. We will even cover return shipping. Guarantee good on new 28-day plans, first order only. Limit one guarantee per customer.
This means that the money back guarantee only applies if you sign up for a 28 day plan which you will be charged between $229 and $319.99 (depending on which option you choose) every 28 days. You must then call within 14 days to cancel and ship back the unused food. You need only express your dis-satisifcation, whether or not you actually lose 5 pounds. Later in the ad, the fine print indicates that you should expect to only lose 1 to 2 pounds per week which makes the claim of losing 5 pounds in a week seem unlikely.
- What the commercial claims: Lose 5 pounds … with the new Fast 5 from Nutrisystem and it’s free
- What some people might think that means: I can use Nutrisystem to lose weight for free
- What the fine print says: Free Fast 5 kit with new 28-Day Auto-Delivery offers
The “Fast5” package comes free only when you purchase a full Nutrisystem 28-day package which as mentioned above will cost between $229 and $319, every 28 days, until you cancel.
- What Michelle in the commercial said: I’ve lost 41 pounds on Nutrisystem
- What some people might think she means: I can lose 41 pounds in a week/I can lose 41 pounds or my money back/I can lose 41 pounds for free
- The fine print and what this really means: The fine print shown while Michelle is speaking says:
Expect to lose 1-2lbs. per week. Compensated customer. Weight lost on prior Nutrisystem program
This fine print means that you should expect to lose 1 or 2 pounds every week. If you purchase the least expensive 28 day package, it will cost you between $1,145 (at 2 pounds per week) and $2,229 (at 1 pound per week) to lose 41 pounds. The fine print also points out that Michelle did not lose her weight using the Nutrisystem program being advertised, but instead, a previous/prior one.
- What the announcer said: You can eat foods you love and still lose weight
- What some people might think that means: I can eat whatever I want, and still lose weight
- What the fine-print says and what it really means: When this claim is made the following fine print is shown:
On Nutrisystem you add in fresh grocery items
According to the members.nutrisystem.com website, “fresh grocery items” are defined this way:
To help complete a well-rounded diet, you’ll add in your own fresh grocery foods along with your Nutrisystem meals each day. These foods are split into four easy-to-follow categories:
• SmartCarbs• PowerFuels• Vegetables• Extras
This list includes items such as fresh fruit, vegetables, fruit juices, nuts, cheeses, and some meats. The list also includes “extras” such as tiny amounts of ketchup, mayonnaise, diet soda, and sunflower seeds. If “the foods you love” include cake, cookies, potato chips, regular ice cream, Ding-Dongs, or Cheetos, then this statement will not be true for you.
- What the announcer said: Call now and get a full month supply of Nutrisytem for less than $12 a day
- What some people might think that means: I can get Nutrisystem and I only have to pay $12 a day
- What the fine-print says and what it really means: When you purchase the 28-day auto-delivery “Select” program, the cost is $11.43 per day which amounts to $319.99 every 28 days, and must be paid in advance. Your credit card will then be automatically charged $319.99 every 28 days until you cancel. This amounts to approximately $4,160 per year.
- What the announcer said: Order now and even get free shipping
- What some people might think that means: I can get Nutrisystem and I will not have to pay extra for shipping
- What it really means: Based on the Nutrisystem.com website, there does not appear to be any additional fees for shipping
This commercial makes us of fine print and paid a customer testimonial that may make some people think the program works better than it actually does.