Proactiv Plus TV Ad
In this commercial for Proactiv+ Adam Levine tells of his success using Proactiv+. The format of this commercial is very similar to many other Proactive commercials we have reviewed.
What is said in this commercial for Proactiv+ :
(Adam Levine): I actually suffered and still continue to suffer from acne. When I was a kid acne held me back from looking people in the eye and being assertive with them. It held me back from a lot of things. It held you back from life because you feel so. You feel like you want to hide from the world. It was a hard time for me. That’s why I’m here. It is great that there is finally something out there now that works for me.
(Announcer): From America’s number one acne brand comes all new Proactiv Plus. The breakthrough combination of acne medicine plus advanced skin care. The results are astonishing. Skin is not only clear but radiant. It’s the smartest, fastest, most effective Proactive ever.
(Adam Levine): Proactive Plus is a game changer because it’s not just treating your acne you’re taking care of your skin at the same time.
(Announcer): This state of the art 3-step system revolutionizes acne care. The breakthrough? Smart Target Technology and only ProactivPlus has it. Prescription grade medicine is sealed and pulled like a magnet away from the skin’s surface and into the pore. It’s accurate, gentle and effective.
(Adam Levine): Proactiv Plus works. I use it every single day and my face is clear.
(Proactiv+ user): The results were crazy incredible. When I touch my face I’ve never felt it this smooth before.
(Announcer): All new Proactiv Plus is normally $64 but call now during our nationwide launch and pay just $29.95. Save more than 50%. Act fast and get our brand new skin purifying mask free for overnight relief of stubborn breakouts plus our new eBook with a doctor’s best anti acne secrets ever. Get all this a combined $84 value for just $29.95. Call 1 800-285-1755. Proactive Plus is guaranteed to amaze you or your money back.
(Adam Levine): Proactiv Plus is amazing. It’s nice to feel good
Phrases and claims made in this commercial:
- What the commercial said: From America’s number one acne brand comes all new Proactiv Plus
- What some people might think that means: Proactiv is number one so it works better than anything else
- What it really means: This statement is clear and would normally be understood to mean that Proactiv is the number one brand of acne medicine. However the commercial does not tell us what Proactiv is number 1 of. This could mean #1 in sales, #1 in how many TV commercials they have, number 1 in most effective acne medicine. Because the commercial gives us no further information about what Proactiv is #1 at, this statement is virtually meaningless.
- What the commercial claims: The results are astonishing. Skin is not only clear but radiant (at the same time we are shown before and after photos of Proactiv Plus users)
- What some people might think that means: If I use Proativ+ my acne will go away just like shown in the pictures
- What it really means: On the screen, in very small and very light print we see the words “Results will vary”. This means that your results may not be the same as what is shown in the pictures.
- What Adam Levine said: Prescription grade medicine is sealed and pulled like a magnet
- What some people might think this means: ProactivPlus is prescription medicine
- What it really means: The statement “prescription grade” means similar in quality or other measures. It does not mean that Proactiv+ is or contains any prescription medicines. Some people might say that this phrase in intended to trick viewers into thinking that Proactiv Plus is as good as prescription medicine.
- What Adam Levine said: I use it every single day and my face is clear
- What many people might think it means: If I use Proactiv+ my face will be clear
- What it really means: This is a statement or testimonial from Adam Levine that his face is clear. This does not necessarily mean that Proactiv Plus will make your face clear
- What the Proactiv announcer said: get our brand new skin purifying mask free for overnight relief of stubborn breakouts
- What someone might think this means: The Proactiv purifying mask will clear my breakouts overnight
- What it really means: This statement is clear and does seem to say that the purifying mask will relieve stubborn breakouts overnight, however neither the TV commercial or the proactivplus.com website gives any data to support this claim. The proactivplus.com website says this about the Purifying Mask:
This medicated clay mask is like a Step-4 boost to the Proactiv+ 3-Step System. It contains maximum-strength (6%) sulfur acne medicine to clear pores, heal blemishes and help prevent breakouts. A 10-minute facial reduces excess oil, deep-cleans pores and calms irritation. Great for spot-treating pimples, too.
There is nothing in writing to support the idea that the Proactiv Purifying Mask will make breakouts go away overnight. Some people may think that this statement is intended to make people believe that the purifying mask will give overnight results.
- What the commercial said: Proactive Plus is guaranteed to amaze you or your money back
- What many people might think it means: If I don’t like Proactiv I will get back all the money that I paid
- Is it true? These are the details of the money back guarantee from the proactivplus.com website:
If, for any reason, you’re not delighted with Proactiv, simply return the bottles (even if empty) within 60 days of receipt for a full refund of the purchase price, less shipping and handling.
This means that you will have to pay to ship the empty bottles back, you will be refunded only the purchase price, and you will not be refunded for the original shipping charges when you placed your order. This is the “money back guarantee trick” used by many TV commercials that some people consider very deceptive.
- What Adam Levine said: Proactiv Plus is amazing. It’s nice to feel good
- What many people might think it means: If I use Proactiv+ I will feel good
- What it really means: This is a statement by Adam Levine, not a claim. In other words, he’s just saying “it’s nice to feel good”. Adam Levine does not say that if you use Proactiv+ you will feel good, simply, “it’s nice to feel good”. When asked, many people considered this to be a deliberate attempt to make the viewer think, or subconsciously plant the idea that using Proactiv Plus will make you feel good.
This Proactiv Plus commercial uses some deceptive wording that many people may think is intended to trick the viewer into thinking that Proactiv+ has better ingredients that it does or that it works better than it actually does