The Pocket Hose Ultra from TeleBrands featuring actor Richard Karn. Pocket Hose Ultra with amber tip connectors. Available from www.POCKETHOSE.com and www.PocketHoseUltra.com
This commercial is for the new, upgraded Pocket Hose, the Pocket Hose Ultra and features actor Richard Karn telling us how the Pocket Hose expanding hose works, and why the new Ultra version is better than the original.
What Richard Karn says in this commercial:
It’s the hose that changed hoses forever! The lawn care breakthrough that revolutionized the way we water our gardens and wash our cars. The number one selling expandable hose in the world! And wait ’till they see this! We’ve made it even better. The new, Pocket Hose ULTRA.
The hose that expands, and magically retracts back to where it started from. It’s equipped with Tight Seal technology, guaranteed to give you a water-tight seal, every time. The secret is the super strong material of the amber tip connectors. 3 times stronger than the original and look at this test compared to a common, solid brass connector. At 300-pounds of pressure the brass gets crushed but the amber-tipped connector on the Pocket Hose Ultra stays strong and undamaged. It’s as good as new. Say goodbye to leaky hoses that spray more water on you than on the lawn! Pick a Pockethose!
Pocket Hose Ultra has double-layer construction, like a fire hose. With a scientifically developed elastomer hose on the inside that expands with water pressure and a new improved out-lining to protect it. And look at this. That’s the Solar Stripe Shield. It actually protects the Pocket Hose Ultra from damaging UV rays and extends the life of the hose.
This hose is built to last! In fact, it comes with a lifetime guarantee. If it ever leaks, even a drop, you get your money back. And even though it’s the best Pocket Hose ever, the Pocket Hose Ultra won’t cost you a penny more than the original. So, why would you ever buy one of those other expandable hoses or stick with a heavy old monster hose that tangles and kinks? Pick a Pocket Hose! The new Pocket Hose Ultra. The 25 foot PocketHose Ultra is still just $12.99 and comes with the amber elbow that lets you screw on your Pocket Hose Ultra without scraping your knuckles, a $10 value, yours free. Call now and you can get a second Pocket Hose Ultra. Call now!
Some of the claims or statements made and what they mean:
- What Richard Karn said: The number one selling expandable hose in the world!
- What you might have thought it means: This must be the best quality hose because it is the best selling
- What it may actually mean: Best-selling does not necessarily mean “best product”. Also, “best selling” may only indicate initial sales, without taking into account returns or refunds. Many times, “best selling” may actually translate into meaning “best TV commercials” or “most advertising”.
- What Richard Karn said: That’s the Solar Stripe Shield. It actually protects the Pocket Hose Ultra from damaging UV rays and extends the life of the hose
- What some people might think this means: This hose is better than other expandable hoses or will last longer because it is protected from UV rays.
- What it really means: This claim is clear and with little room for deception: The Solar Stripe Shield protects the hose from UV rays that can cause damage, and this will extend the life of the hose. However, he does not tell us how much protection there is from UV rays, or how much longer we should expect the hose to last.
- What Richard Karn claimed: ..it comes with a lifetime guarantee. If it ever leaks, even a drop, you get your money back
- What some people might think this means: If my hose ever leaks, even a drop, I will get back all of the money I paid
- What it really means: This claim is clear: If this hose ever leaks, you get your money back. However, on the screen, we can see, in very small, and very difficult to read fine print, just under the giant “LIFE TIME GUARANTEE”, the words “Less S&H”. This means that you will not get back any money that you paid for shipping and handling (see below for pricing and fees). Unfortunately, we are unable to find any information at the www.PocketHose.com or www.PocketHoseUltra.com websites to back up this lifetime Money Back Guarantee. The only guarantee or refund information we are able to find states that the guarantee is for only 30 days:
Your Satisfaction is 100% Guaranteed. If you are dissatisfied with any merchandise from Telebrands for any reason, simply return the product within 30 days for an easy refund of your purchase price, excluding shipping and handling
The real price for the Pocket Hose Ultra:
Near the end of the commercial Richard Karn tells us that we can get this hose for only $12.99. When he says this, in very light, and very small lettering on screen we can also see “Plus S&H”, and then at the end of the ad when we are shown the giant “$12.99” price, we can also see “Plus Shipping & Handling” in smaller print. When you buy a Pocket Hose, here is a breakdown of your actual cost:
The first (25 foot) Pocket Hose Ultra is $12.99 plus $7.99 for shipping and handling. Should you choose to get the second hose (25 foot) it will cost $9.99. The total price for one Pocket Hose Ultra is $20.98 for one, and if you choose to get the 2nd hose, your total cost will be $30.97.
If you return the hose and take advantage of the money back guarantee, only the “price” of the hose will be refunded. If you paid $30.97 for two hoses, and return one for your full, money back guarantee, they will only return the $12.99 ‘price’. You must also pay to ship the hose back, out of your pocket.
Note that the longer length hoses cost substantially more.
This Pocket Hose commercial uses some wording that many people may find somewhat deceptive, and a $12.99 price that some may consider to be very deceptive.