Sleep 8 Light Eliminating Sleep Mask available from www.BUYSLEEP8.com
This advertisement for the Sleep 8 mask tells us why the Sleep 8 is better than traditional sleeping masks and how it can improve your sleep.
What the announcer tells us:
Tired of sleepless nights spent tossing and turning? Does any distraction ruin your whole night’s rest? Introducing Sleep 8, the amazing comfortable sleep-mask that eliminates light and blocks noise.
Other sleep masks are uncomfortable. They slip and slide and let light creep in around the edges. But Sleep 8 comfortably stays in place whether you sleep on your back, side, or even your stomach, and keeps light and sound out. The secret is the unique contouring design that blocks light from any direction combined with built-in sound mufflers that block ambient noise. The simple hook and loop closure easily adjusts for the perfect fit and the luxurious satin material stays so cool and comfortable you’ll forget you have it on!
Studies have shown that melatonin decreases as we age, making it difficult to sleep. However Sleep 8 naturally raises your levels of melatonin by creating a dark environment so you can sleep more easily. No pills, no drugs, just natural deep restful sleep. Ideal if you have a partner that snores or watches TV at night. Great for shift-workers who sleep during the day. A must-have for when you’re traveling. Create a relaxing environment for those who suffer from migraines. And perfect for anyone who wants a better, more restful night’s sleep.
Call now and as part of this introductory offer you can get Sleep 8 for just $10. That’s just $10 for a deeper, quieter, better night’s rest, guaranteed, or your money back. But wait, call right now and you’ll get a second Sleep 8, free, just pay separate processing and handling. Get the better night’s rest that you’ve been dreaming of with Sleep 8. Don’t wait, order now!
Testimonials by actors portraying Sleep 8 users:
The following testimonials are made by what appear to be actors:
- My husband likes to watch TV until late at night. Sleep 8 really deadens the noise and blocks the light
- I work the night-shift as a nurse, and Sleep 8 has really helped me get the rest I need.
Claims or inferences made and what they really mean:
- What the announcer tells us: Sleep 8, the amazing comfortable sleep-mask that eliminates light and blocks noise
- What you might have thought it means: If I wear the Sleep 8 mask I will not see any light and I won’t hear any noise
- What he actually said: The announcer claims that the Sleep 8 eliminates light. Most people would understand this to mean that while wearing the mask, no light will enter your eyes. However, he said it “blocks” noise. He did not say it “blocks all noise”, and he did not say it “eliminates noise”. He simply said it “blocks” noise without tell us how much noise it blocks. This could mean that it blocks only %0.1 of the noise. Some people may think this is a deceptive use of wording to trick people into thinking that the mask will block-out all noise, when in fact this was not said.
- What the announcer claimed: Studies have shown that melatonin decreases as we age, making it difficult to sleep. However Sleep 8 naturally raises your levels of melatonin by creating a dark environment so you can sleep more easily (while a graph is shown onscreen).
- What some people might think it means: The Sleep 8 mask is proven to work in studies
- What he really said: The announcer said Studies have shown that melatonin decreases as we age, making it difficult to sleep. He then goes on to tell us that Sleep 8 will raise your melatonin by creating a dark environment to sleep. He does not say that any study was done on the Sleep 8 mask itself, and the claim is that Sleep 8 works by “creating a dark environment to sleep”. Some people might ask if we can simply create a dark environment by turning off the lights or closing the window shades for the same results. This statement might be considered by some people to be a deliberate attempt to trick people into thinking that studies have been shown that prove the Sleep 8 mask is effective, which is not actually stated.
- What the commercial said: Call now and as part of this introductory offer you can get Sleep 8 for just $10. That’s just $10 …. But wait, call right now and you’ll get a second Sleep 8, free, just pay separate processing and handling.
- What you might think it means: I can buy a Sleep 8 Mask and I only have to send in $10 / I can get two masks for only $10 plus shipping on the second mask.
The real price of a Sleep 8 Mask:
When the announcer tells us that the Sleep 8 is only $10, and while the giant “$10” is shown on the screen, we can also see in smaller print “Plus P&H”, and the announcer also mentions “separate processing and handling” with regard to your second, “free” Sleep 8 mask, but at no time are we told the price for these processing fees. It is not until we visit the www.BuySleep8.com website to place an order that we can find out the real cost for the mask.
The cost of your first Sleep 8 mask is $10, plus $6.99 for “processing and handling”. The cost of your second “free” mask is $0, but you must pay an additional $6.99 “processing and handling” fee for it as well. The total cost for your two masks for $10 will be $23.98 ($10+$6.99+$6.99).
- What the commercial says: a deeper, quieter, better night’s rest, guaranteed, or your money back
- What you might think that means: I have nothing to lose if I try this mask and it does not work as I expectant because I will get all of my money back, guaranteed.
- What he really said: The announcer does say “guaranteed, or your money back”, which most people would assume means “I will get back all of the money I sent in”. However, when searching for details of the Money Back Guarantee at the www.BuySleep8.com website, we find the following:
30-Day Money Back Guarantee (Less S&H). Please include your complete name, address, daytime telephone number and email address inside the return package when returning your item. For information about returns, please contact our Customer Service department for instructions
This means that your money back guarantee only applies to the “price” of the Sleep 8 mask, which is $10. So even though as stated above, your total actual cost for the mask will be closer to $24, the money back guarantee will only refund you for the $10 “price” as indicated by the “Less S&H”. Although not specifically mentioned in the details, you will also have to pay to ship the items back. Many people may consider this an extremely deceptive use of wording intended to trick people into thinking they have “nothing to lose” by trying the mask.
Summary of this ad:
This commercial makes use of wording, pricing details, and a “money back” guarantee that some people may consider to be extremely deceptive.