SafeLink Wireless (AKA: Obama Phone) TV Commercial
In this commercial for SafeLink we are told that we can get a free phone, free minutes and free texting at SafeLink.com
Obamaphone (Safelink) commercial:
Woman 1: Looking for a job is hard work and with a child to support it’s tough to make ends meet.
Woman 2: I use it to stay in touch with work and my kids
Announcer: During these tough times Safelink is a free cellphone program that now offers 250 free minutes or 1000 free texts each month. Our new plan is truly the best value in major Lifeline programs. Apply now with our Fastback service. Receive your phone in just 3 to 5 days. You may qualify if you participate in food stamps or Medicaid. Call 1-800-SAFELINK or visit Safelink.com
Claims and statements and what they really mean:
- What the commercial said: Safelink is a free cellphone program that now offers 250 free minutes or 1000 free texts each month
- What some people might think that means: I can get a free cellphone with 250 free minutes or 1000 free texts
- What it really means: The wording used leaves little room for deception, however in fine print we can see that 250 free minutes or 1000 free texts is based on pricing that is nearly a year old (November 2012). So even though it is possible these numbers may have changed, the statement is basically true and non-deceptive. However, only those that qualify are eligible for the free cellphone.
- What the Safelink commercial said: Receive your phone in just 3 to 5 days
- What some people might think that means: I can get a free cellphone in only a few days
- What it really means: As with the previous claim, there is little room for deception and you must first qualify to be eligible for a free phone. We were not able to find any information on shipping charges for the free phone.
- What the Safelink commercial said: You may qualify if you participate in food stamps or Medicaid
- What some people might think that means: If I get food stamps or am on Medicaid I can get a free cellphone
- What it really means: Safelink is funded/supported by the U.S. Governments’ Federal Lifeline Program (this is often why these phones are referred to by some as “Obama Phones”). In order to qualify for a free phone you must meet certain income guidelines which are spelled out at the Safelink.com website:
In order to participate in the SAFELINK WIRELESS® service, persons must meet certain eligibility requirements set by each State where the service is to be provided. These requirements are based on a person’s participation in a state or Federal support programs or by meeting the Income Poverty Guidelines as defined by the U.S. Government.
Based on these published requirements it appears that this claim is not deceptive.
This TV commercial for Safelink Wireless free (Obama) phones uses virtually no deceptive wording. This commercial seems legit!