T-Mobile, the fastest 4G LTE network for the iPhone 5S / #unleash
This new 2014 T-Mobile commercial, hashtag #unleash, tells us that their LTE network is the fastest available for the iPhone 5S. Throughout the entire commercial music is played in the background as the announcer speaks. The name of the song and the name of the band playing the song are currently not known. If you know the name of the song or artist, please submit a comment below.
What the announcer says:
At T-Mobile, when you get an iPhone 5S you’re not only getting the most innovative phone on the market, you’re getting the nation’s fasted 4G LTE network (on screen, T-Mobile The Fastest 4G LTE Network shown in giant text). With no restrictive annual service contracts. And you can get it for $0 down. iPhone 5S on T-Mobile. Get the phone that’s breaking new ground from the company that’s breaking old rules.
- What the announcer said: you’re getting the nation’s fasted 4G LTE network
- What some people might think that means: TMobile has the fastest network / no other mobile company has a faster connection
- What it really means: This claim is clear with little or no room for deceptiveness, however when the announcer says “you’re getting the nation’s fasted 4G LTE network” the following very fine-print is shown at the bottom of the screen:
Based on download speeds
This means that the claim of the “fastest” is based only on download speeds, which is what most people probably assume, however the commercial gives us no other information about how they arrived at this claim or how it was tested.
- What the commercial said: With no restrictive annual service contracts
- What most people would think it means: On T-Mobile I do not have to sign a long-term contract for service
- What it really means: T-Mobile does offer service without any long-term contracts however you must either use a phone that you already own (“BYOD” Bring your own device). Or purchase a new device at full retail cost.
T-Mobile iPhone $0 down and no contracts
Two of this commercial’s main points are:
- Get an iPhone 5S for $0 down
- No annual contract
However it is important to understand that the $0 down iPhone offer is an offer to finance the cost of the iPhone, which is essentially a contract. This is virtually the same thing that other mobile providers do by locking you into a long-term contract for service. On the screen, when the giant “$0 down on iPhone 5S” is shown, the following, extremely small and near-impossible to read fine-print is shown. The fine-print is so small that we were unable to read it from the TV and had to find it on the T-Mobile.com website:
IF YOU FINANCE YOUR DEVICE AND CANCEL WIRELESS SERVICE, REMAINING BALANCE ON PHONE BECOMES DUE ; +$25 x 24 months. If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on phone becomes due. Total $600. 0% APR O.A.C for well-qualified buyers. Qualifying service required.
This means that although you can cancel your service at any time, because you do not have to sign a service contract, you do still have to sign a financing-contract to purchase your iPhone with the $0 offer. The contract to purchase your iPhone or any other phone that you purchase through T-Mobile specifies that if you cancel your wireless service you must pay the balance on your device, in full, immediately – in essence, you must pay an ETF (Early Termination Fee).
This musical commercial uses some fine print and promises “no contracts” that some people may find somewhat deceptive.