Table Mate II featuring David Jones
In this commercial for the Table Mate tray, David Jones tells us why old fashioned TV trays are no good and why Table-Mate is better.
(David Jones): When you’re not at a table, nothing is stable! Old fashioned TV trays are ok, but you’re always too far away. Hi, David Jones with the Table Mate. The transformable table that slides to you making everything you do more comfortable.
(People trying the Table Mate at a mall): Wow, that’s wonderful! This is excellent, wow. This is perfect, it really is.
(David Jones): Whether you’re eating, reading, or playing a game, Table-Mate’s ingenious design lets you sit back and slide the table right up to your body and with the built-in adjustable cup-holder no matter what position your TableMate is in, your cup will stay in.
(People using the TableMate at a mall): That’s very convenient. The condensation isn’t getting all over making a mess.
(David Jones): Cross legged tables get stuck in a rug but Table Mate’s L-shaped legs easily slide over any surface. Table Mate easily adjusts to six different heights and three comfortable angles. It’s like having 18 tables in one! It’s strong enough to hold up to 50 pounds and it still slides with just a finger. Amazing! Table Mate easily transforms from a homework station to yummy snack-server in a snap. And if your apartment doesn’t have room for a desk, TableMate works best. The raised lip makes sure nothing slides or rolls off and when it comes to game day or family movie night a Table Mate is just right. And when you’re done it folds flat for storage and it stacks for easy access.
You could spend over $250 on all these tables and they still couldn’t do what one Table Mate can for just $29.95. But wait, call or log on now and we’ll send you a second Table Mate free! Just pay separate processing and handling. You get two Table-Mates with the built-in adjustable cup-holder, and incredible value all for just $29.95.
(Announcer): To order TableMate for $29.95 plus processing and handling call 1-800-725-5148 or order online at TableMate.com. Call or log-on today.
Key phrases or claims in this advertisement and what they really mean:
- What the commercial said: It’s strong enough to hold up to 50 pounds and it still slides with just a finger
- What some people might think that means: The Table Mate is strong and very easy to slide
- Is this deceptive?: The commercial does show David Jones putting a full water-bottle on the table and it does hold it however it seems that he places it all the way to the rear so that the table does not fall over. It also appears that he is able to slide the table with only one finger however it’s important to note that he is sliding it over a flat, clean, floor.
- What the commercial said: You could spend over $250 on all these tables and they still couldn’t do what one Table Mate can for just $29.95
- What some people might think that means: The Table Mate is as good as or better than high-quality $250 tables
- Is this deceptive?: The commercial shows high-end table-trays ranging in price from $49 to $120 and some people may assume this means that the Table-Mate is better than these TV trays. But what David Jones says is “they couldn’t do what one TableMate can” – probably referring to the way the Table Mate adjusts. This does not mean that the quality of the Table Mate is better, only that the other high-quality TV tray’s are not adjustable or do not have a built-in cup-holder. Some people might consider this an attempt to fool viewers into thinking that the TableMate is better than, or a better value than high quality trays.
- What the commercial said: You get two Table-Mates with the built-in adjustable cup-holder, and incredible value all for just $29.95
- What some people might think that means: I can get two Table Mate trays and I only have to pay $29.95
- Is this deceptive?: David Jones says, and it is shown on the screen “just pay separate processing and handling” but the cost for this processing and handling fee is not mentioned. According to the details at the www.TableMate.com website, the actual cost of your two TableMate trays for $29.95 is $55.85. $29.95 + $12.95 shipping and handling for the first TableMate + $12.95 shipping and handling for the second, “free” TableMate. If you live in California or New York you will have to pay even more for state taxes.
The Table-Mate commercial may fool some people into thinking it is a high-quality tray worth $250 or that you can get two Table Mate trays for only $29.95, both claims that many people would say are not true.