Booster / Booster.com
This TV commercial tells us how we can use Booster.com to create custom T-Shirts to sell in fundraisers. The ad uses actors portraying Booster.com customers/users, but the actor testimonials are based on real customer experiences.
What they say in this commercial:
(Actors): I’m raising money. I’m raising awareness. I’m boosting spirits with T-shirts. We’re raising enough to build a playground. To build momentum. To rebuild our hometown. I’m raising money for my team. Our school. My band. For my brother and his family.
(Announcer): Now you can raise funds and rally support for any cause by selling T-shirts online. Introducing Booster.com created by Custom Ink. Featuring custom T shirts that you design to fit your cause. It’s free, it’s fun, it’s easy. Just design your shirt and get the word out. Send it, post it, share it. Drive everyone you know to your personalized Booster page and track your progress as you get closer to your goal. When your Booster closes we’ll ship your orders and send you the funds you raised.
(Actors): I raised money. I boosted awareness. I boosted spirits. Because I used Booster.com.
(Announcer): Visit Booster.com and start your free campaign today.
The claims made and their real meanings:
- What the commercial said: It’s free..
- What some people might think that means: I can use Booster.com to make and sell shirts, and I do not have to pay any money
- What it really means: Booster.com is free to use – you do not have to send in any money. However when your fundraiser sells shirts, Booster.com deducts part of the sales proceeds and keeps it, so technically, Booster.com is not free, however most people would probably not consider this deceptive.
- What the commercial said: Just design your shirt and get the word out. Send it, post it, share it. Drive everyone you know to your personalized Booster page and track your progress as you get closer to your goal
- What some people might think that means: I can use Booster.com to advertise my fundraiser / Booster.com will make it easy for me to sell thousands of shirts/generate thousands of dollars
- What it really means: The announcer is clear that you must get the word out about your fundraiser, you must send it, you must post it, share it and drive everyone to your Booster.com page. Booster does none of the advertising or ‘getting the word out for you’. There might be some room for confusion in these statements, but any confusion should be clarified when signing up and using the Booster.com website.
This commercial uses no deceptive wording and has only a little room for confusion. Overall the wording in this ad seems legit!