California Psychics is a pay-by-the-minute telephone “psychic” service.
I’ve very conflicted and yah, skeptical. Talking to a psychic over the phone is a bit impersonal.. They can’t be for real can they?
We let these skeptics try California Psychics and here’s what they had to say. “You know it was probably the best psychic reading i’ve ever had”. “Gosh, I got everything I could have imaged from my reading”. “She’s telling me all this stuff and i’m like, how can you possibly know that?”. Call now to speak to a psychic for $1 per minute and if it’s not the best psychic reading you’ve ever experienced, it’s free.
“I wasn’t sure about the relationship I was in, but, now I know he’s the right one.” “It was specific to me I mean she picked up on so many things there is no way she could have picked up on.” “I’ve always had a passion for fitness and she saw me owning my own Yoga studio”.
Speak to a psychic for $1 per minute. Readings are secure and confidential. if it’s not the best psychic reading you’ve ever experienced, it’s free.
“She had names, she had so much detail”.. “She really just reassured me that I’m on the right path.” “I’ve never had a phone call make me so excited for the future.”
California Psychics. The best, or it’s free.
At the very beginning of the commercial, it is stated that they let skeptics try California Psychics. We then hear the testimonial of these skeptics. The very first skeptic testimonial is “it was probably the best psychic reading i’ve ever had”. A skeptic, by definition would most likely have never had a psychic reading because they are a skeptic. However this skeptic says that California Psychics gave her the “best reading she has ever had”, implying that she has had readings in the past, potentially making her more of a believer in psychics than a skeptic.
During the time when we see the testimonials, in extremely fine print that is virtually impossible to read, we can make out the words “Participants compensated for their appearances”. Which means they got paid for their testimonials. Many people might think that the promise of being on TV along with being paid might motivate some people to say anything in their testimonial. We can also make out in very fine print during the commercial, the words “for entertainment only”. “For entertainment only” is required to be in the TV commercial, by law, because legally and scientifically, there is no such thing as a psychic or a psychic reading. One would assume that if California Psychics readings were truly psychic, they could easily demonstrate this thus avoiding any legal action or the need to put this disclaimer in their advertisements. However, since no psychic in the history of the world has ever scientifically demonstrated any real psychic ability, including anyone at California Psychics, this disclaimer must still be in their advertisements, virtually admitting that because psychic readings are not real and are for “entertainment” only. However it is notable that they have gone out of their way to make this disclaimer virtually impossible to see or read.
Key words and phrases in this TV commercial and what they really mean:
- What the commercial said: We let these skeptics try California Psychics and here’s what they had to say
- What some people might think that means: These are real skeptics
- What it really means: As mentioned in the initial observations, some people may not believe these are real skeptics
- What the lady in the commercial said: You know it was probably the best psychic reading i’ve ever had
- What some people might think that means: The psychic readings are real, and accurate
- What it really means: This ‘skeptic’ does not tell us how many other readings she has had nor does she tell us why it was the best. Without any supporting information or context, this statement has no meaning and leaves everything up to the imagination of the viewer to fill-in
- What they said in the commercial : She’s telling me all this stuff and i’m like, how can you possibly know that?
- What some people might think that means: The psychics know things that are impossible to know so they must be real psychics
- What it really means: The testimonial does not tell us what the psychic told her, and leaves all of the details up to the imagination of the viewer.
- What they said in the commercial : Call now to speak to a psychic for $1 per minute and if it’s not the best psychic reading you’ve ever experienced, it’s free.
- What some people might think that means: California Psychics only cost $1 per minute. And if I decide it’s not real, I don’t have to pay
- What it really means: In extremely small print on the screen, print so small that even zoomed-in on our high-resolution computer screens, we had difficulty reading, it says “Introductory offer limited to $30. Additional readings at $1.59 to $13.99 per minute (these amounts could be inaccurate because of the impossible to read fine print). After reading through the California Psychics website, we are unable to find any information on pricing beyond the $1 per minute introductory offer. However we were able to find the following about their “free” guarantee:
We don’t guarantee that our psychics’ predictions will come true, but we do our best to ensure that you enjoy the reading. To ensure your satisfaction with your reading experience, we offer a guarantee on your most recent paid reading. The rules with respect to credit for readings are as follows:
- California Psychics does not guarantee the accuracy of what their physics tell you. They only do their best to make sure you enjoy the phone call
- To apply for a credit, please call Customer Service at 1-800-573-4784 within 24 hours of the reading in question.
- We will credit your account in California Psychics dollars for an amount determined at the sole discretion of California Psychics based on your reading length and circumstances. No credit granted can exceed the dollar equivalent of a 15 minute reading. Credit requests are limited to one unsatisfactory paid call per month.
- Our credit offer is valid once per psychic and does not apply to readings with psychics for whom you have received any credit in the past.
- All account credits are issued in California Psychic dollars. No cash refunds.
- For us to issue a credit to your member account, you must have an account that is in good standing.
- Only genuine issues relating to your satisfaction with the reading in question (as determined at our discretion) will be considered for a credit request. We reserve the right to refuse a refund.
What the California Psychic guarantee means according to the specifics on their website:
- If you are not happy with your reading, you do not get your money back, you get a credit toward more readings – NO REFUNDS
- You must apply (ask/request) your credit within 24 hours of the reading
- How much credit you actually get is determined by California Psychics, and WILL NOT EXCEED 15 minutes worth of a reading. If you had a 30 minute reading, you will only get credited for 15 minutes of it
- California Psychics will decide if you were happy with your reading or not, at their discretion, and they have the right to refuse your ‘credit refund’
This TV commercial is full of innuendo regarding their psychic readings, but many people may think that the most deceptive part of this commercial is their claim that if it’s not the best psychic reading you’ve ever experienced, it’s free” which may deceive many people into thinking that if the readings are not accurate, they will get their money back. Unless California Psychics has some other terms or specifics hidden in their website that we were not able to find, some people would consider this not only deceitful, but an outright lie.